I  recently visited the city on the Charles River and was reintroduced to one of my passions.  I think that I have been around awhile and was either the owner or most probably just a lady-in-waiting of some fantastic castle or colonial plantation.

img_0605

img_0610

img_0611

Oil portraits of long ago make me soooo happy and it most certainly is not because of the smiles on their faces!  While visiting the Museum of Fine Arts, I stumbled upon an exhibit of the works of John Singleton Copley who unexpectedly illuminated America’s colonial sky.  Typically displayed in the halls, parlors, and dining rooms of homes decorated with Chippendale-style furniture, Rococo tea sets, and other fine things, Copley’s portraits became centerpieces in the stagecraft of elite, eighteenth-century life.  As a result, Copley’s work saturated the market to a degree perhaps unprecedented in the history of art and contributed vitally to the forging of social identity for the American merchant class.  In good order, we find Paul Revere, John Hancock, John Adams and an early Material Girl, Rebecca Boylston Gill.  I think that they all would have looked even more lovely seated in a modern “Louis” chair by sixinch out of Belgium.  Love to mix the old with the new as always!

louis-ii-armchair

img_0615

P.S. First post on new site so forgive me my awful image juxtaposition!!

9 Comments to 'I Went To Boston And History Found Me'

Dallas Printing 19 May 09 at 9:31 pm

Studying history or anything related to ancient times is where I am also interested of. Be it my country’s history or foreign country’s past records. Knowing their origin makes me feel that I am like part of them. I want to visit Boston too, I heard about their rich passion for arts. And that modern Louis chair is beautiful ..I wish I could also own one like that :)

Dan and Deanna 19 May 09 at 11:23 pm

Love the new blog site. All those wonderful paintings. The chair is great. What a nice job on this post. Thank you for your hard work on your posts.
Dan and Deanna “Marketing Unscrambled”

Hello 20 May 09 at 6:41 am

Cool history! I like the white chair!! Did you go to Brimfield?

Sarah 20 May 09 at 11:56 am

Perhaps Copley saturated the market to a degree unprecedented in the history of American art (specifically,) as there were few contemporary comparisons to his popularity, technique or success coming from this country. But you are right, one has to admire his insane marketing skills, rivaling that of European trailblazers like Durer, Titian and Rubens. I’m glad you enjoyed the exhibit, it’s a great museum. And that chair is gorgeous! :)

Sarah 20 May 09 at 12:00 pm

p.s. your new layout is beautiful!

Anna 20 May 09 at 3:30 pm

I love the new look!! And this really makes me want to go to Boston. This makes me want to go to Boston to see those in person. I love early American art.

Amanda 20 May 09 at 7:53 pm

Love the new look of the site!

I’m glad to hear that you had such a fabulous time in Boston. I lived there for 6 six years and its a great place to be. The history of the town, the architecture and the art really makes it such an interesting place.

P.S. I’m sure it was just a typo but Boston is on the Charles. :)

MaterialGirls 20 May 09 at 9:10 pm

How fun!

Julia-Chicago 21 May 09 at 7:37 am

Yes, I did go to Brimfield! The fields were action packed and I scored some major finds. Maybe some pictures soon.
Thank you Amanda. The Charles it is! Too much shopping on Newbury Street :)