picture-101

I must say I am somewhat of a pack-rat when it comes to design magazines.  I have stacks and stacks of Elle Decor, Chicago Home and Garden, Traditional Home…you name it.  This collection, however, is not amassed in vain.  I frequently hark back to past articles for inspiration or reference.  I stumbled upon this article from the January 2007 issue of House and Garden magazine.  One of the cover stories, “25 Fabulous Movie Interiors, And How to Make Them Yours” caught my eye.  Even though this issue was published over two years ago, the movie interiors featured are classics.  I thought I’d show you some of my favorites!

The room below is a modern day room inspired by the interiors in the 1971 film, “A Clockwork Orange.”  (The original set is the image in the upper left corner)  Of course I had to include this one, because orange is one of my favorite colors!  This mod-70′s look becomes uber-chic with the checkerboard vinyl flooring, Beethoven shade, and orange console.  Notice the groovy wall covering in the second image!

picture-111

Clockwork Orange

Here are some of my other favorite movie interiors from the article.

25 Fabulous Movie Interiors

How great is the wall covering, the lamp, THAT COAT from “Conversation Piece?” Really though the Rothko on the wall makes it for me.

What do you think?  Do you have any favorite movie interiors that jump out at you?

14 Comments to 'Movie Mania'

Fifi Flowers 02 Jul 09 at 10:07 am

LOVE the first one with the skyline in background!

Tricia - Avolli 02 Jul 09 at 12:07 pm

The first movie that comes to mind is ‘Somethings Gotta Give’ with Jack Nicholson and Diane Keaton. It’s gorgeous.

Tricia – Avolli

MSJNT 02 Jul 09 at 12:48 pm

I fell in love with the set designs of “He just Not into You”. If you look at all the different apartments of the characters, especially the home share by Jen C/ Brad C. They were remodeling their new home and when it was finish it was magnificent.The mirror that she broken was beautiful. Definitely check that movie out.

Khris 02 Jul 09 at 6:39 pm

The decor in Auntie Mame (with Rosalind Russell) is among my favorite movie interiors. More recently, the hotel interiors of Ocean’s 13 really wowed me.

Marilyn Prudence Rappaport 02 Jul 09 at 7:09 pm

Very cool, JULIA. I want my room to look like the Gossip Girl set!!!!!! :) :) :) !!!!

J. Coque Designs 02 Jul 09 at 7:15 pm

Love the ravishing orange ottoman! great accenting supporting the shabby chic black and white checkered flooring. YOU GO JULIA!

–LOVE THE BLOG! <333

Rebecca 05 Jul 09 at 12:44 pm

In the Interpreter with Nicole Kidman, the pocket double doors into her bedroom with the beautiful stained glass on the top half… I want it!

Katherine 06 Jul 09 at 11:43 am

Have to mention the rooms in Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day!! Gorgeous!!

becky 10 Jul 09 at 10:57 am

Most recently, I thought the HBO version of “Grey Gardens” absolutely nailed the interiors – so beautiful and then so sublimely ruinied. There are some fun stories about the set decoration over at hbo dot com.

I also loved the interiors in some silly Renee Zellweger movie – the name escapes me, Ewan McGregor, sixties…ack!

I also can’t leave out the sets of Mad Men on AMC – they do a brilliant job of capturing that time between fifties innocence and contemporary sixties. The furnishings really reflect the huge changes in history that were happening at the time, especially how the world opened up.

Julia-Chicago 17 Jul 09 at 8:55 pm

I, too, adored the “Grey Gardens” set! The colors were real and “ruined” at the same time. Emotions totally aligned with the interior space.
Right on, Becky!

Christian 09 Aug 09 at 10:58 am

Still think Clockwork Orange should be at the top of any list like this

Kathy 19 Oct 09 at 2:53 pm

I love the beach house in Something’s Gotta Give. I’ve trying to find some of the artwork from the movie, especially the beach scene in the living room. I think it’s called rockaway beach. I can’t find anything. Can anyone help?

Beverly 22 Oct 09 at 4:13 pm

Kathy, I found a place for the Rockaway oil painting and some of the others. They’re called canvas replicas out of utah. http://www.canvasreplicas.com Love the beach house!

Tammy 18 Jan 10 at 8:33 am

nice read. I would love to follow you on twitter. By the way, did any one know that some chinese hacker had hacked twitter yesterday again.
[url=http://amazon.reviewazone.com/]Tammy[/url]