And the Winner Is…

Sunday, January 10, 2010 | Category: Color, Design Inspiration

Picture 2

Turquoise!  Winner of what, might you ask?  Pantone’s “Color of the Year” for 2010, of course!  As the official press release on the “color solutions” company’s website states, “turquoise transports us to an exciting, tropical paradise while offering a sense of protection and healing in stressful times.”  It’s official color name, in case you were interested in picking up a paint sample or repainting your entire dining room this color (idea for next project, perhaps?) is 15-5519.

Turquoise has a long an influential history in the world of colors, from being a “protective talisman” in some cultures to a color of healing to a color of deep faith.  Additionally, turquoise can be paired nicely with almost any color in the spectrum, is fairly unisex and works well in almost any space.  Whether you choose to incorporate turquoise in a large or a small way, it never seems to disappoint.

I certainly am a fan of this lovely hue and have used in many times throughout my own designs.  Now I thought it would only be appropriate to do a little ode to turquoise!

Picture 5

Picture 6

Picture 8

Picture 12

Picture 14

Picture 16

Picture 19

Picture 22

Picture 23

Picture 29

Picture 28

8 Comments to 'And the Winner Is…'

Erin 10 Jan 10 at 11:55 pm

I couldn’t be more thrilled with their decision! ;) Great eye-candy to go along with such great news!

Bailey@peppermintbliss 11 Jan 10 at 12:54 pm

I LOVE turquoise so much it became the main (not accent) color in my old house. Unfortunately I am growin on up and have to consider a special manfriend in my future decorating endeavors, but I love the blog House of Turquoise to cure my (craving for bright) blues

Cat 11 Jan 10 at 2:10 pm

Good thing! My house is filled with turquoise, I’m so glad I don’t have to change it :-)

Design That Rocks 11 Jan 10 at 3:59 pm

Wow, what a great grouping of the color use. Very nice!

Julia-Chicago 11 Jan 10 at 8:36 pm

Hey!
Turquoise seems to work in many worlds- man v woman :)
I think that this is why we see so many nurseries using this color- appropriate for both mini sexes!
Anyone that uses turquoise is cutting edge in my book..

3 Stinky Boys and Me 11 Jan 10 at 11:34 pm

I love turquoise! The bathrooms look so fresh.

bbrunophotography 12 Jan 10 at 6:29 pm

Turquoise, teal, aqua…all have been favorites of mine for years, so I’m happy with this color of the year. (Thanks to one of your commentors, Bailey, I’ve visited the House of Turquoise blog–she is right; what a fabulous place to land if you are a blue lover.)

I’m a photographer and artist who uses a lot of blues, too, so I’m hoping this year realtors (think “housewarming gift”) and designers will take advantages of my turquoise listings.

Great blog – glad I found it via Twitter!

Catherine 12 Jan 10 at 9:17 pm

Funny, I finished a client’s office last fall in turquoise with black and white as the accent colors in the patterned chairs. It looks amazing! Let’s bring on color…