{Evanston home that inspired this article.  It has been used in the film “Baby on Board” in addition to others}

As both a designer and a self proclaimed “housie,” (house version of a “foodie”) I’m always on the look out for beautiful homes in television and movies.  Honestly, there are times that I have completely lost track of the plot because I am so enthralled with the decor and/or architecture.  After recently reading an article in the Chicago Tribune detailing an Evanston woman’s “movie house” experiences, I decided to do a little digging to uncover some of my own favorite on screen abodes.

{The illustrious home of Cameron from “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off”, also located in suburban Chicago}

{Beautiful Victorian from “Ground Hog Day”}

{Amanda’s Los Angeles home in “The Holiday”}

{Interior of Amanda’s Los Angeles home in “The Holiday”}

{Interior of Amanda’s home in “The Holiday”}

{Kitchen in Amanda’s home from “The Holiday”}

{Bedroom from Amanda’s home in “The Holiday”}

{Amanda’s bathroom in “The Holiday”}

This list could go on forever…there are so many fabulous movie homes and interiors!  Do you have any favorites?  I’d love to hear…and maybe do a Part II!

All images via Hooked on Houses and The Chicago Tribune.

21 Comments to 'Living in the Movies…Literally!'

Brooke H 24 Jan 10 at 12:18 am

I too am constantly distracted by the interiors and homes in movies! Some of my faves not in this post are:
Something’s Gotta Give (diane keaton’s house)
It’s Complicated (Meryls house)
Sex and the City the movie- Carries closet!
A Perfect Murder (Gwynths Manahattan penthouse)
Life as a House (the house they build)
The Lake House
Closer (Julia Roberts & Clive Owens apt)

cathy whitlock 24 Jan 10 at 12:33 pm

You forgot the beach house of Something’s Gotta Give — everyone’s favorite!

Leanne 25 Jan 10 at 9:39 am

You must see “A Single Man” for amazing Californian interiors.

Jody 25 Jan 10 at 10:28 am

There is a home recently built in Wilmette based on
Diane Keaton’s beach house in ” Something’s Gotta
Give!”

Bailey@peppermintbliss 25 Jan 10 at 12:55 pm

That backyard party from brothers and sisters would make an amazing casual wedding setting. Father of the Bride house is obv my alltime favorite, but since moving to Chicago I need to make it my personal mission to hunt down and find for myself all of the amazing movie houses here.
Speaking of Hooked On Houses, you should check out her While You Were Sleeping post, also Chicago and a LOT of famous buildings you might have forgotten about!

gina 25 Jan 10 at 1:40 pm

Love the holiday houses~~

but also love the house in Mrs.Doubtfire.

Home Designer Los Angeles 25 Jan 10 at 4:22 pm

Living in a home used as a set for a popular movie or soap could be the cause of envy from just about any movie and tv junkie anywhere.
But then again, watching those fabulous homes on tv may somehow make us envious too. lol
Great post here about movie houses.
Getting a peek inside this houses used for sets could also inspire homemakers in reinventing their own house.
The still pictures give us a better view of what’s in store inside these homes that we may forget already after seeing two or three episodes.

Julia-Chicago 25 Jan 10 at 7:20 pm

Thank you for all of the great comments! I am hard at work gearing up for a Volume II later this week. Some of your ideas are favs of mine that drove me to see the movies more than once :)
Others, I am anxious to see for myself.
Stay tuned….

Amy 26 Jan 10 at 11:02 am

You must check out the absolute gorgeous interiors of “Mrs. Pettigrew Lives for a Day” if you haven’t seen it. Stunning! And I used to live in Pasadena- so know those two house’s listed for sure! Great post!

Lisa-Ohio 26 Jan 10 at 12:32 pm

How about Home Alone…….Evanston also?

Brenda Landing 26 Jan 10 at 7:17 pm

I thought I was the only person who replayed movies, just so I could check out the interiors. Always loved Evening Star, home in Houston, TX and just loved Jane Fonda in Monster in Law.

Kathy 01 Feb 10 at 12:23 pm

The interiors from the movie “Penelope” with Christina Ricci. Her wardrobe is gorgeous also. It’s like a fairy tale!

ray ban store 03 Feb 10 at 4:11 pm

I enjoyed the article and thanks recompense posting such valuable when all is said after all of us to skim, I found it both moneymaking and revelatory and I script to label it as everything as I can.

ray ban 3025

Lisa 28 Dec 10 at 4:15 pm

I really like the Van der Woodsen penthouse in GG.

Kim 29 Dec 10 at 9:55 pm

The house from “Blind Side” is my favorite home of ALL TIME! It’s sooobeautiful!

things that sparkle 01 Jan 11 at 7:08 pm

I grew up on the north shore and always drive past that house in Evanston and think how pretty the outside is! Sounds like I’m not the only one. Love this post!

wallace 02 Jan 11 at 11:14 am

Very nice article, I never noticed until now how similar the homes in Chicago are to New England homes, I love the tall ceiling and fine woodwork. Keep up the good work

Liz 04 May 11 at 9:42 pm

The Big Chill home (also in the Great Santini) in Beaufort, South Carolina is classic southern beauty.

cyndee 03 May 12 at 10:17 am

WOW! I am not sure how my significant other found your blog, but the Evanston house is my happy abode. How flattering to see it as the lead house for your blog! Thanks for such nice comments!

Kate Levinson 04 May 12 at 8:05 am

I am a location scout an find these places for a living! The baby on both house is one of mine, though I didn’t work on that particular project. Brook – the lake house was not a location, but a house built temporarily just for the film! It was in the chicago area and I had a client who had me look for it once because they wanted to use it for a catalog shoot!

Julia-Chicago 29 May 12 at 7:01 am

Cyndee!
I haven’t seen you in ages!
Love your home-glad that your hubby found my post :)
Best,