{Absalom Boston House…epitome of Nantucket style}

I recently just got back from a trip to Nantucket to put the final touches on the vacation home of a client that I have been working on (from my Chicago office) for quite some time.  I have to say…I am in love.  So quaint, charming and beautiful, Nantucket really takes your breath away.  One gets the sense that not much has changed on this island in generations, taking comfort in the tradition and steadfast dedication to its way of life as a simple retreat. Furthermore, the homes in this intimate community have retained the classic look so associated with the island….shingled structures of muted grays, blues whites and soft neutrals.  While I was adding a modern spin on my client’s 1800′s classic charmer, many of the homes still retain that rustic,old world feel that so many of the beach getaways of the East Coast (Martha’s Vineyard, Cape Cod….) are known for.  Take a look at some of the images from Lisa McGee’s book, “A Home in Nantucket” and feel the instant comfort and ease of the Nantucket life.

Stay tuned for photos of my spin on the Nantucket home!

6 Comments to 'Nantucket Read'

rachel thomas 24 Jul 10 at 10:28 am

I cannot wait to see the designs you whipped up in Nantucket. I’m Cape Cod obsessed!

eyeseepretty 24 Jul 10 at 10:50 am

I too fell in love with Nantucket. We vacationed there for the first time last summer and I can’t wait to go back. I especially loved how it seems frozen in time….love, love, love!

Sheeba Mankus 25 Jul 10 at 2:43 am

I Love these homes. They have so much life and character to them. These photos show how much depth there is in the home, from every little detail. the photo that showed the walls of collected kitchen utensils is an organized detail that has more abilities to create an atmosphere then anything else.

I make people stop driving when i am in Nantucket to look at these homes and if i can get a glance inside.

Sheebs

Down comforter 26 Jul 10 at 12:03 pm

I love that rug on the stairs, it gives you that simple fuzzy warm feeling of home

Amy Meier 26 Jul 10 at 11:12 pm

Oh my gosh! I cannot wait to see the pictures of your project on Nantucket. I grew up in Chicago, but moved to Boston after college. I fell in love with the islands (we got married on Martha’s Vineyard last October).
I found your blog tonight and am looking forward to adding it to my daily reading.
Best,
Amy Meier

Kim 31 Jul 10 at 9:50 am

Looking forward to your designs! I love these houses, too.

1 Links to 'Nantucket Read'

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Nancy Peal, Ivana Michalova. Ivana Michalova said: Nantucket Read: {Absalom Boston House…epitome of Nantucket style} I recently just got back from a trip to Nantuc… http://bit.ly/9o2CxJ [...]