Urban Chic

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 | Category: Antiques and Collectibles, Art, Decorating, Material Girls Projects

I wish that it was every day that I had the chance to work on a Michigan Avenue project-right in the thick of things.   Add to that description a swank  apartment project in the city.  Many of my clients live in single family homes, but when I was presented with the opportunity to work on a pad in a posh Gold Coast high-rise (one of Chicago’s most beautiful neighborhoods) I immediately said “Heck yes!”

This was such a great project for me in that the client also shared an appreciation for art, antiques and artifacts- the 3 A’s which I live by.  In a smaller space like an apartment, every square foot must count.  No detail was overlooked, however I had to be careful not to “over decorate” the home.  No matter what objects or artifacts I put in the space, the finest piece of art will always be the phenomenal views of my beautiful city :)

It doesn’t matter that my phone doesn’t work here….kinda like a work oasis when I am here.

10 Comments to 'Urban Chic'

Valerie Kilpatrick 26 Oct 11 at 8:59 pm

This is absolutely wonderful work! “Bravo” is the word that comes to mind – it’s a symphony of the industrial look, a slight edge of steampunk, plenty of traditional warmth,and absolutely NOT overdone. I would never have had the imagination to put those great pieces together. I’ll take it….I wish I had a place in Chicago ….

~Valerie

inspir@lia 27 Oct 11 at 2:14 am

Beautiful work! I don’t think I’ve seen a tulip table and bertoia chairs put together – it’s like they were made to be together! Love it all!

renee finberg 27 Oct 11 at 6:41 am

i have used the light fixture in the first image.
it’s fabulous.

i would love to know where the silver metal tortoise shell is from.

xx great post

HopeDreamLove 27 Oct 11 at 6:22 pm

Exquisite apartment overlooking an exquisite view! Perfect combination of detailed but not over-looked

Lauren 27 Oct 11 at 10:45 pm

So gorgeous!!!

Julia-Chicago 28 Oct 11 at 6:48 am

Renee,
If you are a Chicagoan you have to visit The Find City! They have another store in Highwood.
That is where the nickel tortoise shell beauty is from.
Thank you for your comment!
Best,
J

Julia-Chicago 28 Oct 11 at 6:49 am

Thank you Lauren!!!
xx

Heather 28 Oct 11 at 10:40 am

Wow, that looks fabulous! I love the Louis Ghost chairs. I have one that I use with the CB2 clear console table as a desk set. The clear look is great for tiny Manhattan apts! I am currently lusting after a Saarinen tulip table. The black version looks very elegant!

Debbie 30 Oct 11 at 10:50 am

Truly a wonderfully designed space. That dining area is simply divine!! Wonderful.
Fondly, Debbie of Vintage Scout Interiors

Kate Collins 03 Nov 11 at 10:12 am

Once again I am amazed! I always love seeing your projects! You nailed it with the three A’s – so unique and I’m sure they treasure everything.