Who says that just because you are an adult means you must have a “Grown Up House”?  I have always loved using bold, bright colors, patterns and textures throughout my projects, bringing a sense of fun and whimsy that is not just limited to children’s quarters.  In the darkest days of the bitter Chicago winter, its always nice to have a warm, cozy place to go home to. When I can take a design risk that evokes a smile- I am there. Add to that a lighting frenzy that allows a mixture of fixtures and moods alongside multi media nationally acclaimed art.  Whoa!

One of my recently completed projects, a modern brownstone in the Bucktown neighborhood of Chicago, incorporates this fun, eclectic mantra in a family home.  Adults and children alike can enjoy the house…after all a house is not a home unless you can have fun in it! The family that inhabits it is amazingly awesome. The perfect client’s…lucky me.

It is a great time to be thankful for the wonderful design that I have been allowed to share this year with my fantastic client’s and my BID team- Paulina, Shannon, Whitney, Amy, Colette, Nancy and Marla. You all rock it.

Happy Holiday’s to all!

14 Comments to 'Fun for the Whole Family!'

Linda 22 Dec 11 at 12:03 am

Gorgeous house, I am sure my kids would simply love it as well :) . Any idea where I could order those deer antler lamp online? An item I really would like to have

Original_Ann 22 Dec 11 at 10:09 am

Oh how beautiful! I absolutely love the lighting. Can you tell me where I can get the chandelier in your 3rd-to-last image (showing the fireplace)?

Kate Collins 22 Dec 11 at 11:32 am

Wow!! Thank you so much for sharing. What a feast for the eyes! You and your team did an amazing job. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!

brooke 22 Dec 11 at 11:41 am

There are so many things I can rave about in this house… the dress painting, the antler chandelier, and the tiled fireplace, just to name a few. LOVE!

Lisa Vogel 22 Dec 11 at 1:08 pm

This is just beautiful! Julia, can you please give the name of the artist who did the dress artwork piece? I love it and have been looking for something like it for my home.

Rita 22 Dec 11 at 9:40 pm

Beautiful design! LOVE the fish fabric on the banquettes!!!!!! :)

Julia-Chicago 23 Dec 11 at 7:49 am

Linda,
Thank you for your comment! The antler chandelier is by Jason Miller for Roll and Hill and can be purchased through Design Within Reach. It comes in several sizes. The one that I used is the largest. It is high impact :)
Best,
J

Julia-Chicago 23 Dec 11 at 7:54 am

Ann,
I bet you can tell that I am obsessed with lighting! Thank you for noticing :)
The chrome chandelier in the living room is by Gino Sarfatti for Flos. It, too, can be purchased through Design Within Reach.
The light that it throws off is very soothing and mod.
Have a great holiday!
J

Julia-Chicago 23 Dec 11 at 7:58 am

Lisa,
The piece is by artist Todd Murphy. I don’t know if you are close to Chicago but I have a small exhibit of his “dresses” in my Chicago Showroom. Each is a limited edition of 10 works. All different but equally as beautiful!
Please let me know if you need any additional information.
J

Julia-Chicago 23 Dec 11 at 8:00 am

Kate,
Thank you!
Happy Holidays to you! Have a BLAST in Cabo!!
xx

Jennifer Lane 28 Dec 11 at 6:55 pm

I am in love with this entire project! You are so talented. I was wondering if you could tell me what the tile surround in the living room is called and where I could order it? Thanks so much!!

Ton 30 Dec 11 at 7:55 pm

Great job! What material did you use for the fireplace? Is that tile?
I love it!

I like the breakfast nook/eating area also!

Julia-Chicago 02 Jan 12 at 11:42 am

Dear Jennifer and Ton,
The fireplace surround is encaustic tile which are ceramic tiles in which the pattern or figure on the surface is not a product of the glaze but of different colors of clay. They are usually of two colors but a tile may be composed of as many as six.
I found these beauties at the Fine Line in Chicago.
Thank you for reading and Happy New Year!
J

suzanne vachon 03 Jan 12 at 3:50 pm

Hi Julia,

I love this home, you did a superb job, these kitchen nook banquettes are so unexpected and a delightful surprise…Great Decor, great taste and such a personal rendering, I am sure this house reflects totally your clients.

Have a very good year, many joys and happiness to you, and thanks again for your marvelous posts.

decogirlmontreal