Have you ever read the section in Us Weekly about interesting facts that you didn’t know about your favorite celebs? I love it! I was asked to do a similar feature in Design Dose which is is the online extension of the inspiration, advice, and scoop that Chicago Home + Garden provides every other month, only in smaller doses. Editors Jan Parr and Gina Bazer of Chicago Home + Garden share news and trends from their in-boxes, confess their latest design obsessions and dilemmas, and take you behind the scenes to exclusive design events and showrooms. The fun questions about my personal taste, interests and loves in life made me smile. Of course, my family is at the top of my list, but I do have some spare time to dabble in a few other things. Design, design, and design related that is- mostly. I enjoy the guests that they feature from around town and have learned some new things about some of my Chicago design pals. You should all join the fun and see what the CH+G gals provide us with next!
Check out how I finished each of the following sentences…
1. If I could live in any movie or TV setting it would be Gone With the Wind. I’m intrigued by every element—the fashion, interiors, Southern hospitality, and opulence.
2. I eat like a pig when I go to the Twisted Spoke. The fried-egg sandwiches and banana buckwheat pancakes (washed down with a Bloody Mary) are musts. My husband, children, and I head there after participating in the fun-runs around the city—it’s a family tradition that, when combined with a run, makes me feel less guilty.
3. My libation of choice is Veuve Clicquot. There is always a reason to celebrate with a glass of bubbly!
4. The most aesthetically pleasing place I’ve visited recently was the Hermès flagship boutique in Paris. The brand is iconic and true to its history, and this is reflected in every flawless display and vignette.
5. The best music for a dinner party is jazz pianist Bill Evans’s 1961 album, “Sunday at the Village Vanguard.” That is, of course, if my son, Alex, isn’t in town to put on a bass recital.
6. My turn-to item of clothing is BIG coats that make LARGE fashion statements.
7. Most people don’t know that I have an obsession with laminating. Over the years, I’ve collected images and clippings from design magazines and laminated them to archive in my inspiration bin. I love the glossy finish!