I recently ran across a post on Vintage and Modern where American interior designer Christopher Coleman and Venezuelan fashion designer Angel Sanchez combined forces to create a surprisingly gorgeous space consisting of mainly primary colors. The idea may seem childish, but when mixed properly- primary colors really can give a space that special “pop.” Check out some of the unique examples of how to perfect the use of primary.

Primary Residence:

Going Google:
Google is known for inspiring and unique spaces. Check out the interiors of Google’s headquarters In Zurich.

Locally Known and Loved:
If you haven’t taken a tour of Red Frog Events, then you simply must take the time to admire their innovation. Complete with a treehouse, lego conference table and (gasp!) even a fully stocked bar- Red Frog’s fun personality definitely shines through their space.

Buckingham Goes Primary:
Last but not least- one of my previous client’s offices perfectly resembles their modern style in mainly primary colors!

So what do YOU think of the use of primary colors? Would you ever consider featuring the colors together in a space? Leave your thoughts below!

13 Comments to 'Primary Colors Aren’t Just For Kids Anymore'

Planned Spontaneity 22 Aug 12 at 12:35 pm

Love this–so glad to see primary colors done right!

Http://www.pspontaneity.wordpress.com

PoshLiving 22 Aug 12 at 2:08 pm

While our first thought would most likely be to use these primary colors together in a PoshTots playroom, they add a sort of modern ecclectic feel to adult spaces. Love these examples!

arizona custom interior design 22 Aug 12 at 5:26 pm

wow, these are beautiful. i really wish my work looked like this… love it.

pavitra soans 23 Aug 12 at 1:21 am

Super fun! loved the kitchen the most :)

JennyLynn 23 Aug 12 at 9:19 am

I love playing with primary colors. The lego table is amazing, and fun. Google lights are another favorite of mine.

Julia-Chicago 23 Aug 12 at 12:17 pm

Totally agree Jenny! The lego table is so fun! I heard they actually built it themselves and that’s where they hold interviews for their interns. Very creative and fun work environment!

Julia-Chicago 23 Aug 12 at 12:18 pm

V&M certainly highlighted a fun house! The kitchen somehow looks so fun without overdoing it. Glad you liked the post and thank you for commenting! :)

Julia-Chicago 23 Aug 12 at 12:19 pm

Thank you David! Do you design? I would love to see a link to your work! :)

Julia-Chicago 23 Aug 12 at 12:20 pm

That’s what I thought too! Right away I thought that spaces using this color scheme could seem “childish” but I think it really works nicely when done the right way. Thanks for commenting!

Elizabeth 23 Aug 12 at 2:42 pm

Wow! Loving these ideas. Just goes to show you any rule can be broken. I think bright colors are really important–even now, during the days of minimalist decor with every piece in a muted hue.

Ah—if only we could all work at Google!

I maintain a blog about Mad Men — elizabethandliz.wordpress.com — and wrote a piece very similar–examining primary colors in an episode. Have a look if you’re so inclined–always great to see your posts!

ps–loved your feature on The Everygirl! You are inspiring!

Here’s the post—Mad Blues and Reds and Yellows

Cortney 24 Aug 12 at 10:09 am

I definitely think primary colors are necessary somewhere in every room! I tend to stick to a very neutral base in the room of greys and light grees, ex: on walls, couches etc, BUT I love uses pops of bright colors in accessories like pillows, art work, vases, and lampshades. I am a big fan of bright orange and also turqouise, also any color found on a peacock! :) Thank you for your blog and the great pictures, everything is so beautiful, I can’t wait to start decorating my new apartment.

suzanne vachon 25 Aug 12 at 1:14 pm

Ouf! At last, all this winter white is going out little by little, thanks for a very colorful Post. I love white but sometimes ”Less is more”

decogirlmontreal.com

Julia-Chicago 27 Aug 12 at 12:21 pm

I LOVE your Mad Men post Elizabeth!! I actually wrote one a few weeks ago about some of my favorite set interiors and I included Mad Men as well. I love that you found so much about primary colors in the show- I would not have even thought about that! The Everygirl shoot was just too much fun- thanks for reading! Hope to hear from you soon! If you’d like to connect on Twitter my username is @buckinghamid! :)