Domino design on a dime decorating

Thursday, July 17, 2008 | Category: Budget Design, Magazines

I loved this month’s issue of Domino…they had a whole section about decorating small spaces on a budget (which of course applies to most people my age) and there were two rooms that I cannot get out of my mind!

One was this little piece of pink heaven. For this Living Room, they only spent $2,593 to make it look this good. I love the two side tables they used to make a coffee table as well as the soft pink hues that give this room its girly chic vibe. The four framed mirrors stacked vertically is a cute idea also. The sofa was only $430 and the floor lamp only $60- what a steal!

Room #2 that I can’t seem to forget is this one designed by Jennifer Eisenstadt. They did it for $2,018 and were only $18 over their budget. I must say that’s impressive! This Manhattan rental’s Living Room was a mere 265 square feet so a multitasking layout was in order. Love love love the paint color in here with the crisp white accents. Who would have thought that pink would look good with navy but it looks like perfection! I think the best part was how they made the window treatment. They made valances from IKEA curtains which were staple gunned to plywood and completed with grosgrain ribbon. Wow can I move there? Or just to New York in general! That would be nice!

9 Comments to 'Domino design on a dime decorating'

Cote de Texas 17 Jul 08 at 8:42 am

oh my dear – you are showing your young age!!1 in the 60s ala Jackie O – navy with pink was THE thing!

I adored that blue and white room too and thought, why don’t I ever think of things like this? it was perfect!

Mademoiselle Frou-Frou 17 Jul 08 at 10:59 pm

i think she did an amazing job – you should post the before image to show just how bad it was!
great blog!!!!
xoxo

Visual Vamp 17 Jul 08 at 11:37 pm

Hello MG, nice post and a very nice blog – thanks! But I hated this issue. And the pink living room was just okay. A pole lamp??? I wouldn’t call that design, even if it’s in Domino. The navy room was much more interesting. And about budgets – hovering around $2K is not really such a hard budget to work with. $500. to zero really brings out creativity LOL

Nancy Lee Stewart 18 Jul 08 at 3:34 am

I loved the pink and navy room, too. I think the window treatment really helped the space look substantial and less DIY. Great blog! Check mine out – lostinverobeach.blogspot.com

Nancy

Courtney 18 Jul 08 at 5:19 pm

That blue room is my old boss’ from Hollywould! I also couldn’t believe how tiny it actually was and what the sharp blue/white combo did for the overall space.

Emily 19 Jul 08 at 6:10 am

Really Cote? Interesting! I guess I was only a twinkle in my mom’s eye back then…thanks for keeping me informed! :)

Courtney- how funny, that was your boss! Small world! Well tell her that the place looks amazing! I am in love with it…

Anonymous 19 Jul 08 at 6:29 pm

Domino is great fun, but they fudged the price just a bit on the sofa. The sofa itself may have been $430, but then the fabric to cover it was an additional $268. And how much to have all of that lovely pink fabric magically transformed into a tight-fitting slipcover? I think we’re at least at the edge of bargain country by now.

coco+kelley 22 Jul 08 at 7:37 pm

i loved these rooms – it just goes to show what you can do on a budget (tastefully!), which is nice for us young ladies who have yet to make our first million ;)

Furniture 13 Aug 08 at 10:04 pm

I Love that pink room….Its very cute….