Gwyneth Paltrow- designer?

Thursday, June 18, 2009 | Category: Celebs

It’s always funny/scary when your boyfriend starts knowing about as much as you do about interior design! (and by you, I mean me)

My boyfriend Ben follows our blog religiously (as does other MG boyfriends/husbands apparently- ahem Bryce) and just the other day he flat out said- “you can mix silver and gold in a room”….oh really? Mr. design expert? Apparently he learned that important fact from one of Hilary’s recent posts.  He was so proud of himself that I had to laugh (and then tell everyone I know).  He has come so far from when I first taught him what a sconce was.  Now he suggests sconces to solve any and all design problems- “sconce it up” has become a popular catch phrase around the house.

sconce

With that said, he does very well in keeping me abreast of whatever new design info or celeb gossip he comes across (which I can appreciate) and tonight he did inform me of both.  Supposedly, Madge wants Gwynnie to design her newly adopted baby Mercy’s room in her NY townhouse (read it here!)

madge

Madge thinks that Gwynnie would be the PERFECT candidate.  She was so impressed by the room Gwynnie designed for her daughter Apple (in her Hampton’s home) that she thought what better person than BFF G. Palt to get the job done right.

apple1

{Apple’s Room}

We all know that Gwyneth has deemed herself a lifestyle expert/fashionista through her newsletter GOOP…but have you read it? I’m not a huge fan.  Do you think Gwyneth is the style maven that she makes herself out to be? Does she have what it takes to design Mercy’s room as pretty as Apple’s? (and the real question is…did she even design Apple’s room entirely by herself?) Let’s ponder that!

15 Comments to 'Gwyneth Paltrow- designer?'

Brooke H 19 Jun 09 at 1:51 am

I doubt that she designed the whole thing by herself however I am a fan of Goop! I think the “go”, ‘make”, “do” and “see” sections are pretty great. Last weeks news letter included the recipe for my favorite cookies on the planet, Tates. (I was floored to get my hands on that one.) And the week before featured hot spots in Barcelona, where 3 of my friends are about to travel to next month.

susie q 19 Jun 09 at 7:55 am

In my case, it’s my 13- and 10-year-old daughters that spout design-speak. Interesting news about Gwyneth and Madge. If you’re feeling snarky, see this spoof post on v

susie q 19 Jun 09 at 7:57 am

{ Oops — my last comment submitted accidently! }

If you’re feeling snarky, read Videogum’s Goop spoof post here: http://tinyurl.com/ofqqch. Really funny!

Maria Killam 19 Jun 09 at 8:32 am

That’s funny! I loved what Alexis Hampton said; when her husband starts offering his opinion, she says “I’m sorry have I seen your work somewhere?” I always loved that line! And I think it’s really sweet that he follows your posts! (Mine does not :)

I subscribe to Gwyneth’s blog and I just delete the ones that don’t interest me but 1/2 of them do. She posted a really great one about gossiping and why everyone loves to do it and what it does, I would love to be that person, it was totally inspiring.

Designer though? Who can know about that!

Great post Emily!
x
Maria

ben 19 Jun 09 at 10:13 am

all i have to say is “sconce it up!”

Crystal Cierlak 19 Jun 09 at 11:58 am

The only way I can get my boyfriend to read my blog is if I post pictures from our latest adventure on it. I tried explaining to him what I blog about and he got lost – 3 times! I had to explain it three times!

Melinda 19 Jun 09 at 12:06 pm

Can you cite the source of that fabulous sconce by the way?????

Shani 19 Jun 09 at 2:08 pm

First of all, I love that Ben commented on the post! LOL!

I’m not a huge fan of GOOP, though I did like her party iTunes list and half my friends are now on the cleanse. The room is nice, but I could have done that, and I freely admit that I’m no designer!

Tommy Bahama Bedding 19 Jun 09 at 2:10 pm

“sconce it up” – that’s too funny :) Anyway, I like Apple’s room, but I can’t say that I’m blown away. I like Gweneth, but I’m kinda over celebrities declaring themselves fashion / interior designers, chefs, dieticians, cosmeticians, dermatologists…

michelle workman 19 Jun 09 at 4:33 pm

As a designer (yes, for celebs) I have had the instance of a client claiming responsibility for my work. And I say whatevs, Its mildly annoying but in the end who cares. I think the bed is cute and sweet and if thats what Madge wants (listening to Lucky Star right now BTW) – hey hey have a field day.

BUT… lets not kid ourselves – we ALL know that while Gwyneth may have said what look she wanted – she did not go to the workroom hand them a drawing and get it made. A working designer/decorator did that.

Vitania 19 Jun 09 at 6:55 pm

“Never put Baby in a corner!”

Not thrilled with this room, but I actually think Gwenyth Paltrow is Lovely..

Vitania

Lauren 19 Jun 09 at 8:26 pm

SCONCE IT UP!!! LOVES IT! I have to honestly say that I’ve never read, “Goop,” because the name of it completely turned me off.

MaterialGirls 19 Jun 09 at 9:53 pm

I am pretty sure that sconce is from Visual Comfort- it was a photo from Cote de Texas’ blog!

Rick L 20 Jun 09 at 7:02 am

Personally, I think Paltrow is “borderline cute” at best, not lovely. Her decorating tastes are the same. I would hate to be a kid and living in that room. I think Ben leans toward oversimplification, but he may be on to something. You may want to marry that guy.

my favorite and my best 20 Jun 09 at 8:28 pm

i think she has the skilz to pull it off. money being no object certainly plays in her favor.

1 Links to 'Gwyneth Paltrow- designer?'

[...] designer certainly took “sconce it up” to a whole new [...]