To trim or not to trim?

Monday, July 27, 2009 | Category: Decorating

When does decorative trim get to be too much on a pillow?

tassel

Pillows just aren’t as embellished today as they were five to ten years ago.  Fringe, tassels, pom poms, and rope trim have become less and less prevalent in interiors.  I think interior design in general, is becoming more simplified.  White walls, self welting, unfussy window treatments, and cleaner lines seem to dominate the pages of magazines.

What trim are you loving, if any?  Or are you a predominantly self welter like myself?  What type of trim do you wish would disappear?

Personally, I am loving the look of simple tape trim to create a graphic look (just like Drew’s X pillows!)

fotodrewbarrymorefigura

Below is more decorative trim- should it stay or should it go-go? You be the judge!

pom-pom

tassel1

Schumacher Merida Tassel Fringe

bead1

Robert Allen Classic Beaded trim

63131

Schumacher Cabana Braid

How do you like your pillows?

6 Comments to 'To trim or not to trim?'

maison21 27 Jul 09 at 3:18 am

never say never, but i would imagine somewhere hot and fiery would have to be frozen over before i ever use a tassle, pom-pom fringe, or anything else dangly on a pillow. a simple tape occasionally, but a self or contrast welt is usually enough. often times i’ll avoid even that, and just do a knife edge.

i love a lot of decoration in a room, but almost always paired with tailored, simple upholstery, pillows and curtains.

Monique Thomsen 27 Jul 09 at 8:15 am

more trim the better! I still love all the tassle and beaded trim everywhere!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions 27 Jul 09 at 12:42 pm

I do love tassel and beaded trims, but if it is so much it gets in the way, it’s got to go. I’d rather have my pillows with tassles and trim to dress up a solid or plain upholstery piece.

Down Pillow 27 Jul 09 at 9:47 pm

Most of the pillows I have are a self-welt, but I can go for a little fringe here & there. I really love the the pom-pom & St. Tropez braid trims you picture here :)

MaterialGirls 28 Jul 09 at 9:44 pm

I like a simple trim or none at all usually- but the other day I bought six yards of a dangly trim for a client’s funky guest room, then I changed my mind and decided that it was way too much! Now it’s going in my pile of “things to be sold on Craig’s List!” Too bad trim isn’t returnable!

Linda H. Bassert 28 Jul 09 at 11:59 pm

Here are a few suggestions on the topic of trims and pillows. Try putting trim on the two short sides of a rectangular pillow, instead of all the way around, for a lighter touch. No one then sits on the pillow trim, but it still looks great.

Contrast welt is also a good idea for all you “self welters”. Consider using an ottoman weave on the bias for the look of a cording without the cost…

And for great value in trims – look at the ones from Michael’s Textiles. They are doing a great job at coming up with modestly priced trims that are scaled properly for today’s spaces, in current colors.

I love designing pillows. When you take the time to sell them consistently, the amount of plus sales are phenomenal. And they really help to tie rooms together. Use trims where the level of detail in the house warrants it,or for a traditional client looking for WoW. .
Best wishes, – Linda