Stark Struck!

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 | Category: Floors

I’m sure this diamond patterned Stark carpet has been blogged about over and over again…but for good reason!  It’s such a fantastic, versatile rug that looks great with any type of room.

scan0007

The Stark sisal is a recurring piece that I often see in dining rooms and living rooms.  Well, not in “real life”, mostly in publications.  You see, most clients are apprehensive about using sisal rugs in their home.  Their view is that it is high maintenance and not very practical.  Maybe there is some truth to that, but you just really can’t beat the look of a sisal rug!

I really do see this particular Stark rug EVERYWHERE.  The name of it is Natura.  I was looking in my Style Book last night and started to notice just how many photos I’ve torn out that include this Stark rug! What are the odds?  Well, don’t answer that :)

stark4

This rug would be perfect for a project I am working on but I’m hesitant about it and wondering- is it just a fad?

Cote de Texas used the Natura in one of her projects.  Isn’t this living room lovely?  The diamond patterned sisal she chose is a perfect match with the paint color.

stark2-cote

Here’s another instance where the Natura showed up- but in a dining room.  For a room like this where lots of grays are used, I think it is essential to have a natural rug like the sisal to warm up the space so it doesn’t look too stark (nor too matchy)

stark3

I spy…the Natura! In a Cote de Texas post

stark-cote-de-texas

Here the Natura is (yet again) in one of my favorite Traditional Home spreads.  We blogged about this circus themed home not too long ago- such an interesting history behind it!

scan0008

And another instance where a designer used the Stark rug.  This time, it’s in the “Yoga dining room” that was featured in House Beautiful.  I always remember this as the Yoga dining room because they framed grass Yoga mats with panel moldings for the backdrop of this room! Now if only I could find my old mat from Tarjay…

scan0005

Same house- different room!  The Natura was also used in the client’s living room to keep it consistent throughout the public spaces.

scan0006

This D Home spread featured a dining room with the patterned rug.  It complements the beautiful de Gournay wallpaper nicely.

scan00041

I found this funky dining room in Veranda.  What do you know? They used the Stark rug too!

stark1-veranda

I just discovered that this rug is also sold at their Outlet…learn something new every day!  Didn’t even know Stark had a few outlet locations.

Would love to know your thoughts! Are you already over this rug or is it a classic?

17 Comments to 'Stark Struck!'

maison21 18 Aug 09 at 3:58 pm

it is so pretty and so versatile. i think it was used in every project at me old firm (well, not starck, a local company, but same pattern (usually in a more graphic ebony/ivory colorway).

and for your los angeles readers, i have yet to see this carpet at buttercup, but they have had other VERY cool stuff for great prices. it’s all remnants, but large size ones…

Things That Inspire 18 Aug 09 at 4:00 pm

I absolutely love this rug. Stark’s version is called natura, and there is another mill that makes a similar (and less expensive) version called pueblo – it is about 1.5 times the cost of the regular sisal, but worth it for the effect, don’t you think?

P.S. – one of these pictures is of the living room in my sister’s house!!!! It was published in one of the magazines.

Alicia 18 Aug 09 at 4:02 pm

These rugs ARE everywhere but there’s a reason for that! They’re classic and SO versatile. Traditional, modern, transitional. I’ve always loved this one too. Great post!

MaterialGirls 18 Aug 09 at 9:13 pm

Your sister’s house?! How cool! Which one? Do tell do tell!!

I agree with you guys- I love the rug too! Just didn’t know if the greek key motif would be “out” by next year and then this rug would become obsolete. But it really is the perfect rug!

Dan and Deanna 19 Aug 09 at 1:48 am

That rug goes with anything. Those rooms are wonderful. Thank you for sharing.

Dan and Deanna “Marketing Unscrambled”

Laura Casey Interiors 19 Aug 09 at 10:12 am

I still use them and love it. I also love having a Stark outlet here in Charlotte!

Sarah (Matters of Style) 19 Aug 09 at 12:09 pm

I have loved that rug forever! I went to the Stark store here, and I was disheartened to learn the price! An 8×10 was around $4k if I remember correctly. But if you need a custom size that you can’t order from PB, then Stark is definitely the way to go! I will also add that having a dog wreaks havoc on a sisal rug…

Things That Inspire 19 Aug 09 at 5:39 pm

The picture with the Victoria Hagan wing chair – it was in her second home, but she recently sold the home. Much of the furniture is in storage now, just waiting for a new home…which my sister is looking for!

MaterialGirls 19 Aug 09 at 5:45 pm

Oh how funny (about your sister’s house) Her house is adorable!! She has really cute furniture. I can’t remember what site I found that photo on…?

Down Pillow 19 Aug 09 at 7:21 pm

I’m surprised how well this rug coordinates in almost any deor.

Joni Webb 20 Aug 09 at 6:26 pm

thanks for showing that room I designed! what a pleasant surprise! it’s not really Stark, it was a knockoff, shhhh!!!

MaterialGirls 20 Aug 09 at 11:28 pm

Knockoff?! They exist? Would love to know where!!

vchswhcg 13 Oct 09 at 4:03 am

NEYtkQ ggwcxldjaync, [url=http://ecbmtlcgjqjd.com/]ecbmtlcgjqjd[/url], [link=http://gwbhyjeeojrs.com/]gwbhyjeeojrs[/link], http://njmqbegqqsrg.com/

Brett Hemphill 26 May 10 at 2:35 pm

FYI – you don’t have to pay Stark prices for the diamond sisal – We have sourced the material and can save you money on both the sisal and the fabrication costs – have a look at our blog that features many additional color options of the sisal – http://hemphillbrett.wordpress.com/2010/05/22/sisal-rug-featured-on-cover-of-traditional-home/

Brett Hemphill 26 May 10 at 2:38 pm

FYI – our version which is the SAME as Starks prices out at $ 1896.00 w/ cotton binding. We can also offer leather, custom sizes, etc.

strib1 29 Jan 12 at 11:06 pm

I love the color on the ceiling! What color is it?

Diablo Gold Guide 20 Jun 13 at 12:51 pm

Oh, man. I’m so freaking ecstatic. Good for Blizzard, they’ve worked hard permanently on a sequel. Instead of cranking them out every 1-2 years.

2 Links to 'Stark Struck!'

[...] This post was Twitted by decondemand [...]

Trackback from Twitted by decondemand on August 18, 2009

[...] spy the diamond patterned Stark sisal rug…a blogger’s dream! (and what a nice, up-to-date touch in [...]