When flipping through current design magazines, it’s easy to recognize those pieces that are the hot items of the moment.  Why is that? Because they are everywhere!

They are those accessories or furniture pieces that have become a trend, a fad, a craze, en vogue, the look, the thing, all the rage, in style- the object of the moment!

But when does it become so over-used that it isn’t exciting anymore?  When is it old news?

We want to know…what pieces do you think have been over-exposed lately as a trend and which pieces do you render more timeless?

Zebra Rugs-

wisteria-chandelier

elle-decor

Flocked Wallpaper

dom

ff

flock

Bamboo- i.e.: flooring, shades, furniture,  accessories, wallpaper

richard-mishaan-elle-decor-june-07

gold

gold1

Blue and Brown

dining

armoire7-house-beautiful

img_atlantafunlg_4

So we ask…what are you over and what are you still loving?

17 Comments to 'Are you “over it”? Or “over the moon” for it?'

Paloma {LaDolceVita} 03 Sep 09 at 3:38 pm

I still love greek key, sunburst mirrors, and ikat. I like zebra print, but I think actual zebra hides are gross and cruel. I was tutoring a kid two nights ago and his parents have a zebra hide hanging on the all in the study. It was akward enough to hang it instead of using it as a rug, but all I could think was “that’s where his eyes used to be”. :(

maison21 03 Sep 09 at 3:55 pm

getting a bit tired greek key; i will always love sunbursts, ikat and zebra i’m afraid; and never could stand flocked wallpaper- ick.

gold is classique, and blue and brown, one must be careful with- just did a client’s living room in it, but tried to keep it understated.

Jennifer Kemzuro 03 Sep 09 at 4:52 pm

I used to think “everyone’s doin’ it – I’m over it!” but…I I try not to limit myself anymore – everything has an application where maybe I would use it. I do have favorites, it’s all how we mix it up right?

MaterialGirls 03 Sep 09 at 5:00 pm

Paloma- I bet that Zebra hung on the wall was incredibly distracting! I haven’t seen one hung on the wall in person- I agree- it might freak me out a bit

Maison-speaking of zebra- the zebra rug I ordered came in from Ballard! The 4×6 ended up being teeny tiny in the teeny tiny “Martini Lounge”! Who would have thought? I need to send you a photo and you can let me know your thoughts!

Deborah Milne 03 Sep 09 at 5:58 pm

i don’t know but now I’m really depressed. My home is such a cliche’! I’m never over zebra, & gold. Still admire greek key, but in moderation. I hate to say farewell for now to Chippendale furniture or starburst mirrors. The rest I guess I can shelve until the next wave of excitement & designers. That is if I’m still kicking it!!

LIBERTY POST EDITIOR 03 Sep 09 at 7:21 pm

Goodbye to all. Bring on the new, but
gold …..please stay

MaterialGirls 03 Sep 09 at 9:42 pm

Deb- I always tell people to buy what they love! (trend or not)- so don’t feel sad! And I have to admit, I still love most of the things on this list!! I hope sunburst mirrors never go away!

Down Pillow 03 Sep 09 at 11:21 pm

I like grey & yellow together, love colored chandeliers, & Greek key is a classic. I am sooo over garden stools (really sick of them, actually), over coral, & never liked the sunburst mirrors. Just my humble opinion :)

danika herrick 04 Sep 09 at 5:55 am

Makes me sad to admit this…Imperial Trellis… think its a classic, it but I am so tired of seeing it everywhere. The Chiang Mai Dragon in pillow form isn’t too far behind. I’ll love that pattern to death though. I wish people would use it more on the walls (just sooo expensive in wallpaper form). I don’t think I will ever get tired of sunbursts or lucite, I hope!

I’m with Maison21 on flocked paper, never could get into it even if I wanted to… with two kids all I could think about is sticky fingers or them picking at it.

First 04 Sep 09 at 9:56 am

When something works, we beat it to death…like the zebra rug….but the important thing I tell clients is to keep things mixed so that the whole look of the space doesn’t become dated, trendy looking….and when you don’t have the $$$ to completely redo a room–just start moving those things around to freshen up your spaces!

I knew blue and brown wouldn’t have staying power. It looks great, I did it in my master suite, I regretted it the moment I finished it–knowing it was way trendy…so I immediately started backing off the brown and injecting creamy tones, silver, taupes with it–I love it now and it’ll last a while longer!

Cindy Hosmer 04 Sep 09 at 2:44 pm

Frankly, I’m not over any of that stuff. How can you be if it looks beautiful in the room?

Trendy mixed with the keepers is always a good thing.

I will never get tired of flocked wallpaper!

Liz 04 Sep 09 at 4:05 pm

I think everything you listed is a classic but I do admit it’s time for some new ideas to start mixing in. I am contemplating a 54″ x 70″ framed panel of Chiang Mai Dragon in a center hallway that you see from the front door (they’ll sell just one roll). I’m just going to resist pairing Imperial Trellis with it and try and let my imagination take me somewhere that will be classic and chic but not ripped out of a magazine. My zebra striped rug is still front and center but it may end up quietly upstairs as a cool touch instead of a major statement.

Christin 07 Sep 09 at 3:22 pm

I would say most of the items are timeless…have always been around, and will always continue to be around. Classic pieces have longevity for a reason and when something is a fad we move on for a reason. Don’t want to overdue a good thing but we sure don’t want to get rid of it either!

5TH AND STATE 07 Sep 09 at 9:47 pm

i may still love some of the design elements; starburst mirrors, blue/brown but the moment i start to see a trend mass produced, think ballard, pottery barn, target……i become sooo over it!

Jenny 08 Sep 09 at 9:36 pm

I think the blue-and-brown color combo is a major trend right now that will soon be on its way out. I think its going to be to the early 2000s what green/orange/yellow was to the 70s (although much more pleasing to the eye when we look back in 20 years!). I still love the colors together but since I’ve seen them literally everywhere and as a color story for so many products, I think it’s going to start looking dated in the next year or so.

Emily 18 Sep 09 at 9:04 am

I LOVE these things- I cannot get over them! When my father was in the furniture business when I was young, we would go to designers’ homes, and I remember, 25 years ago, seeing all the things that are posted here- the zebra rug, of course! The garden stools, shag rugs, and the flocked wallpapers!!! The color combos do wear on me a bit, but I still love them when I see them! I love the coral but only when done right, and that is rare! Great post!

Lea 18 Jul 11 at 11:23 pm

I love Zebra! I totally agree with Paloma, you don’t need to use an actual Zebra. The rectangular rugs with a nice quality zebra print can actually be the size that the room needs and fill it better. I have never like Ikat or gold. I feel that people only like them BECAUSE they are trendy and not because they are all that attractive. If you truly love it though, than no trend is out done. I do like brass though instead of gold.

Does anybody else predict that stainless steel appliances are going to be the Avocado Green of the 2000′s?

I loved the coral, but knew it was way too trendy when we painted branches red to look like coral for a display. Er, that was in 2004.

Never been a fan of a complete matchy matchy two or one color room. I think a room should look like you have found your much loved pieces over time and “mostly” on your own. Nobody loves just two colors, right? Well, I don’t!

Have fun and pick the pieces that inspire you or just want to make you stay curled up on the couch with a glass of wine admiring your digs!