Sophisticated Kids Rooms

Tuesday, December 01, 2009 | Category: Bed and Bath, Decorating, Kids

Kids are just growing up way too fast these days…<sigh>

Many have cell phones practically before they learn how to talk, kids who are thirteen look about twenty-three, and some are even more computer savvy than their parents!  (what happened to the days of Mall Madness, bad perms, and dial-up?)

As for these kids’ own rooms? They are looking equally as mature!

funny

How about a room that will take your child from seven to seventeen? Here are some of my favorite rooms that prove that a sophisticated color palette plus classic furnishings will grow WITH your child- and you never know, he or she just might take that fabulous chandelier that was in their nursery, with them to college!

This room featured in House Beautiful is by far my favorite on the list.  I would transport this vignette to my own bedroom in a heartbeat!

scan0017

{House Beautiful}

I specified the nightstands below for one of my own client’s bedrooms.  The only differences were that we purchased them in white and the fact that she was a grown woman!

room1

Jill Zarin of The Real Housewives of New York City decorated her daughter Ally’s bedroom in icy blue, black, and white creating nice contrast.

101350072_p

{Traditional Home}

Buh bye wicker beds of the 90’s ! Hello upholstered twin headboards of today! And we must not forget the crystal chandelier and fabulous wallpaper for some added panache.

scan0013

{Traditional Home}

RIP Domino- you always had the best compilations of kids rooms…at least they are still searchable through Google and we haven’t lost you forever!

domino june-july 2008

{Domino}

Houston designer, Sally Wheat, designed this incredibly unique room for her daughter (featured in House and Home).  The pillows say it all- LOVES!

scan0007

{House and Home}

The color scheme in this imaginative child’s room is certainly dreamy!

scan0006

Wallpapering your child’s bedroom doors- what a concept!  Brown and white striped Rose Cummings wallpaper is paired with Granny Smith green trim for added punch.

scan0012

{Domino}

Here we have a kids room with an understated sailboat theme executed beautifully (and notice I emphasized understated!) You don’t want to be selling that Dora the Explorer bed-in-a-bag set next year when your child suddenly decides to move onto Miley Cyrus or the Jonas Brothers! Sometimes themes are better left more subtle.

kids

{Domino}

This preppy pink and green nursery (featured in where else?…..Domino) makes me swoon!

scan0011

Mr. Jonathon Adler is the brains behind this bold and multi-hued child’s room.  I love how they painted the antique piece in the corner bright yellow! Nothing is off limits here.

adler-pink-kids-room

A more traditional child’s room, but still incredibly lovely.

scan0018

{Traditional Home}

This soothing lavender space could almost double as a guest room.

scan0016

{Elle Decor}

And another favorite….would you expect anything less from Nanette Lepore’s daughter’s room? Especially one designed by Jonathon Adler!

kids-room-1

{Elle Decor}

And trendy chocolate brown and pink lives on!

domino

Woven shades look amazing in a child’s room- especially rooms that are painted a bright color.

scan0014

Simple but chic- seems to be the motto in this light and airy beach house.

scan0010

Now how did these homeowners already know that maps would become such a trend?

Traditional Home 7

{Traditional Home}

A soft, feminine room at its best.

scan0009

{Traditional Home}

This room is so versatile.  In a few years, if the child grows out of florals and checks, all they’d have to do is make the switch!  Changing out the duvet, accent pillows, and roman shades would instantly turn this room into one even a grown up would enjoy.

scan0008

{Traditional Home}

I know I have posted this one before, but I couldn’t resist!

parisienne girls room

And this one too…a girl’s got to have her portrait collection!

kids

{Domino}

And although these rooms are labeled as “kids rooms”, there are certainly elements in each that you could incorporate into your own bedroom.  My head is already spinning with ideas on how to change up my own!

16 Comments to 'Sophisticated Kids Rooms'

Maryam in Marrakech 01 Dec 09 at 4:11 am

Such beautiful children’s rooms! My daughter’s room is one of my favorite rooms in our home:-) I am sharing some pics of our own home in Marrakech all this week.

Lisa 01 Dec 09 at 10:23 am

Could you tell me where the photo with the striped carpet and the green nightstands is from (3rd picture from top)? I just installed the exact carpet in my teen daughter’s room and I am interested in finding the fabrics used on the window treatments. Great blog – thanks.

Tammy@InStitches 01 Dec 09 at 11:27 am

Gorgeous rooms ! The fabric really makes them special.

Blue Hydrangea 01 Dec 09 at 1:06 pm

I could happily move into almost any of these rooms..and I am far from being a child. Although sometimes I act like one!

Jaime 01 Dec 09 at 2:33 pm

OMG love them! I remember Ally Zarin’s room from the show- so lovely. Bookmarking this 🙂

Leigh Chandler 01 Dec 09 at 2:50 pm

Fabulous collection! So many I had not seen, definitely saving this post!

Jacqueline 01 Dec 09 at 8:02 pm

Great post, gorgeous rooms! Thank you!

MaterialGirls 01 Dec 09 at 10:00 pm

Hi Maryam, I tried posting a comment on your blog today but not sure if it went through or not! I will be stopping by later this week to view more amazing photos of your home! Thanks for the heads up!

And Blue Hydrangea- my boyfriend would probably say the same thing about me 🙂 Terrible, but true

Sharon Brown 01 Dec 09 at 10:16 pm

Great post! I am working on a whole house remodel and have several of the pictures you selected in my inspiration file. My 3 year old is going to have the swankiest room on the block – ha!

down pillow 02 Dec 09 at 1:06 am

Wow, such great rooms!!! I’m 34, & totally jealous 🙂

MaterialGirls 02 Dec 09 at 1:48 am

Good for you Sharon! I love a swanky kids’ room! 😉 So many kids rooms can end up looking so cheesy and themey, that it’s a breath of fresh air to see a kids room that has some real style and pizzazz!! If I had lived in one myself growing up (like photo #5), maybe I wouldn’t have minded sharing a room so much! ha

Emily A. Clark 02 Dec 09 at 8:26 am

Great rooms! One of my favorite ideas is wallpapering the closet doors. A small way to make a big impact!

Elizabeth 04 Dec 09 at 8:22 pm

Absolutley beautiful creations. I love all the colors.

Elizabeth 04 Dec 09 at 8:24 pm

so beatiful, so soft and comforting. Love every single one of the rooms.

Jessica 07 Mar 12 at 4:16 pm

I swear by wakeupfrankie.com. Im a senior at ISU, and every year for the past 4 years, I’ve gotten almost ALL my bedding from wakeupfrankie.com

anna klein 26 Jan 13 at 9:42 pm

Please tell me where to buy that purple bedding it is the 3rd pic from the top please please please!!!!!!

3 Links to 'Sophisticated Kids Rooms'

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Material Girls , Robin Krahling. Robin Krahling said: Sophisticated Kids Rooms: Kids are just growing up way too fast these days…<sigh> Many have cell phones practical… http://bit.ly/7hhjGJ […]

[…] more:  Dallas Blog | Material Girls | Dallas Interior Design … This entry is filed under Kids. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 […]

[…] materialgirlsblog.com via Kimberly on […]