Unexpected Color Combos

Thursday, February 11, 2010 | Category: Color, Paint

When I say blue, you say brown.

When I say green, you say pink.

When I say gray, you say yellow.

When I say lavendar, you say…..orange?  Come again?

Who would have thought that pairing these two colors together would produce such fabulous results! (as seen in Elle Decor)

Or even red and turquoise?  Bunny Williams is one daring decorator!

How about red and pink?  Right in time for V Day…

A little brown and yellow perhaps?

What’s your most unique color pairing in your home?

8 Comments to 'Unexpected Color Combos'

Aansy 11 Feb 10 at 7:38 am

the second combination of colors is so cool i was just going to ask for a turquoise combination color and find the white color best with it. thanks

clayton gray home 11 Feb 10 at 11:30 am

“gray with anything” is a great color combo! these are wonderful and inspiring photos above to really get you thinking….

Fashion Maven 11 Feb 10 at 2:18 pm

Orange and lavender are opposite each other on the color wheel which is why it works, imo.

I love those kinds of color combinations. I think the fact that they used lavender instead of purple makes it work even better and makes it look fresh instead of jarring.

Red and blue are supposed to be something to each other too – I forgot the term… I wish I could find a good color theory book… it makes these kinds of combinations much easier to think up and execute in your own home.

beachbungalow8 11 Feb 10 at 7:12 pm

I just saw a great brown and plum post over on ‘All the best’ really beautiful.

That bunny williams room also had this gorgeous, earthy olive tone in it, which really set off all those other clear colors.

The Muddy Dog 11 Feb 10 at 7:51 pm

Hi Julia, I found you though Ronda at All The Best and love your blog! I am also loving that pink and red room!

Wendy 11 Feb 10 at 8:56 pm

I think I’ve always loved turquoise and red together, but the lavender and orange is new to me and I like it! Would it be too wild for a guest bedroom?

MaterialGirls 12 Feb 10 at 1:09 am

Wendy- I don’t think so at all! Nothing is ever too wild for a guest room :) especially since you won’t be the one who has to sleep there every night! ha
I think that color palette could be really fun and unexpected in there. Let me know if you end up going with it!

Emily 12 Feb 10 at 10:58 am

I love this entry because I can totally see these combos used in weddings- something original and unexpected! I posted your blog on my facebook page.