Last weekend I saw She’s Out of My League- which was a pretty hilarious rom-com, I must say!

How could you forget the infamous scene where Kirk meets Molly’s dog and family for the first time? (oy, oy oy- poor Kirk)

While the whole crowd was roaring in laughter at this encounter, I was busy gazing at the paint color and wallpaper in Molly’s apartment.  (oh, the visual distractions that come with being an interior designer!)

I couldn’t get enough of her large scale floral wallpaper that was used as an accent wall and I also fell in love with the taupey-gray paint color on the surrounding walls.

Her paint color got me thinking about some of my current projects, in which I’ve been specifying this color a lot lately (as a paint color and in upholstery/pillow fabrics)

This color is quite amazing in that it doesn’t go completely warm/brown, but it also doesn’t go completely gray, which can come across as cold and uninviting.  It really is the perfect happy medium and can be used in any type of space- more contemporary or more traditional.  It all depends on what you pair it with!

Right now I’m working on a residential office/guest room project that will primarily be used by a male.  We wanted to stay pretty masculine and modern with the fabrics in this room and decided to incorporate charcoal, white, icy blue, and that good ole taupey gray in his color scheme.

As luck would have it, Duralee had the perfect fabric to tie my whole color scheme together.  I’m using this Cobalt Sapphire fabric on large pillows on a charcoal sofa.

{Duralee- Cobalt- Sapphire}

Today my mission was to pick out the perfect taupey-gray upholstery fabric for the coordinating side chair.  I returned with about twenty fabrics (but immediately eliminated half of them).  Just like most neutrals, taupey-gray fabrics can be difficult to select since they can have all sorts of undertones  (and can look either more pink, gray, brown, or green) so it’s really important that you select the best match for the space.

{My taupey-gray fabric options- this is only the half of them!}

After much deliberation, the winner of my taupey gray challenge was Pindler and Pindler’s Marlow-Greystone!  (one of their new fabrics)  It really was the best match to the taupey-gray in the Duralee fabric.

Moral of the story- don’t get distressed.  The right fabric with the right undertone is out there somewhere!  As they always say, you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your prince…I guess the same philosophy can apply to neutral fabrics! (just don’t experiment with too many frogs, or you’ll end up like me with a million fabrics to return to the design district!)

15 Comments to 'Taupe + Gray= Taupey Gray'

Lori Sawaya 18 Mar 10 at 12:14 am

Taupes are definitely on the upswing of appeal – love the final fabric choices.

Karena 18 Mar 10 at 12:34 am

Great choices, how beautiful ,love the Pindler Marlestone fabric the cobalt and creams are perfectl.

Karena
Art by Karena

Buy Lamps 18 Mar 10 at 1:36 am

Very nice post. Love the creams as well in there. I’ll be visiting again for sure!

Zoya 18 Mar 10 at 7:43 am

love the pattern used love taupey gray

Debby Lee 18 Mar 10 at 8:01 am

That wallpaper really makes a statement! So interesting. :)

Kathryn Kelly Johnston 18 Mar 10 at 8:32 am

Good to know that I wasn’t the only one who lost interest in the movie at this point, and was instead drooling over the apartment!

Paula 18 Mar 10 at 12:03 pm

The wallpaper is very beautiful

Sally@DivineDistractions 19 Mar 10 at 12:46 pm

Hey Emily. I just completed an (almost) exhaustive search for that color and coordinates for a client of mine who is an architect….you know they only use one color….taupe! The Candice Oleson collection and the Calvin Kline collection from Kravet have lots of options in that color way.
Thanks for posting…love, love, love the wallpaper!

Diane 19 Mar 10 at 3:34 pm

Could you suggest a color from Benjamin Moore that is taupey-gray?

Jodi 23 Mar 10 at 10:38 am

I just used two taupey-grays in my home that I just love, love, love…on my living room walls I used Benjamin Moore Irongate (1545)…and in one of my bathrooms I used Benjamin Moore Kingsport Gray (HC-86) and put Restoration Hardware’s silver sage on the ceiling.

MaterialGirls 23 Mar 10 at 11:51 am

How funny Jodi- I JUST used Iron Gate in a dentist office project. I love that color too! I will have to check out Kingsport Gray. I haven’t used that one yet!

Diane- some of my favorites- AC-36 Shenandoah Taupe (Benjamin Moore), HC-172 Revere Pewter (B Moore), 1543 Plymouth Rock (B Moore) and SW 7051 Analytical Gray (Sherwin Williams)

sketch42 23 Mar 10 at 10:05 pm

I believe its called “griege”? No?

sharon 02 Apr 10 at 5:59 am

the top most picture of the blog is just like some of the MW in facebook,
by the way the bowl on the table in that picture is cool

CarlyJames 04 Aug 10 at 11:00 pm

I also love that wallpaper and paint color! You don’t happen to know who makes that wallpaper or how I can get it? I would love to use it in my new place. I haven’t seen that movie, but I love the way her apartment is designed for sure. I hope you know where I could find it, I’m sick of looking through all those wallpaper books at the design shops. ;) Thanks and I love all your design ideas!

Kathy Behrens 22 Oct 10 at 10:55 am

That taupe/gray is exactly the color I have been looking for!

Even though it took me a week to paint on the brushed suede in chocolate ice cream color, I would definately paint over it, if I could find out what that perfect color is in that picture!