Gotta Start Somewhere!

Saturday, March 20, 2010 | Category: Material Girls Projects

You knew you were destined to be an interior designer because….(fill in the blank here).

I think my answer would have to be because I made my own dollhouses as a child.

My family had a good laugh this weekend when they found a picture of the above circa 1989.  It’s a cardboard dollhouse that I made for myself when I was seven.

I love how the piano is just sitting directly on the ground (maybe I had the pianist’s comfort in mind?) and I was also very entertained by the fact that everything in this house is wallpapered (including the bathroom floor and the kitchen table!)  I guess it was foretelling of my love for wallcoverings!  The window treatments don’t go from ceiling to floor (which would drive me crazy on a normal project) and the space doesn’t seem to be too functional (where are the chairs?)

Ahhh gotta love it!  I think this one might be a framer.

17 Comments to 'Gotta Start Somewhere!'

Debby Steele 20 Mar 10 at 6:55 pm

I’m chuckling because I did that too! Playing with the big Barbie head, doing her hair constantly explains my stint as a stylist.

Nancy@marcusdesign 20 Mar 10 at 7:40 pm

That is such a sweet picture, I can really relate because whenever I’m asked if I played with Barbie’s as a child, my reply is that I rearrnged her furniture in my Barbie house more than anything else!!

sharon 20 Mar 10 at 8:21 pm

i would rearrange my mom’s furniture and accessories and question her choices on any decor items she would purchase…to this day she won’t make a “home” purchase w/o my approval. How awful must I have been? Yikes!

Maria Killam 20 Mar 10 at 8:26 pm

I always remember analyzing the paint colour on 2 walls vs. the wallpaper on the other 2 walls in my bedroom and realizing they were not quite right. . .

Monica 20 Mar 10 at 11:30 pm

When I was little I rearrenged the furniture in my room at least once in a week!

Tammy@InStitches 21 Mar 10 at 8:40 am

Your doll house is wonderful and I’m so impressed that you even have drapes !

Yoli 21 Mar 10 at 9:15 am

That little house is simply wonderful! I am most impressed with the passion you displayed for your future career as an interior decorator at such a young age! That is awesome!

gina 21 Mar 10 at 11:25 am

omg this is tooo cute! I love that your parents saved this!

Isnt it funny how things are just so innate!

Sally@DivineDistractions 21 Mar 10 at 1:22 pm

OH, Emily! That’s priceless! Like everyone else who has commented, I did the same thing as a child. I grew up in the 50′s and 60′s, and my parents couldn’t afford a dollhouse, so I used to turn my whole bedroom into a series of doll rooms much to the chagrin of my tidy mother. There are also stories of me as a very young child, 4-5 that I would remove all the switch plate covers in the house with the screwdriver…a prelude to my affinity for construction. I love your blogposts. You keep thrillng me!

MaterialGirls 21 Mar 10 at 3:20 pm

I am loving everyone’s stories!! Thanks so much for sharing. These are all so priceless! Who knew that the things we did as children would end up being so indicative of our future professions!

Keep the stories coming. You girls are cracking me up!

sketch42 21 Mar 10 at 6:11 pm

Thats hilarious!!

As a kid, I never had dolls, or cared about clothes as a teenager. I was into two things: arts/crafts & books.

Still love those things the most!!!!

Sharon 22 Mar 10 at 12:26 am

i got so many things to share but it will be boring to share this on one post.
want to say thanks to Material Girls that you just remind me those tension free days. love love and love your post.

Lindsay Baldelli Nichols 22 Mar 10 at 8:52 am

This is so great Emily!! hahaha!!! Love it!!

Priceless! What an adorable picture. I used to organize stuff when I was little constantly taking out stuff and sorting and reconfiguring.

Love the dollhouse!

Drapery Los Angeles 22 Mar 10 at 10:50 am

I love the doll house… I think I first knew when I ripped down my mom’s drapes at six years old, and told her that they were ugly. Great post!

Irene 22 Mar 10 at 3:56 pm

Oh wow, this is awesome. Thanks so much for sharing. I wish I would’ve taken some pics of all my room rearrangements.

Allie 22 Mar 10 at 4:43 pm

Because my mother is an interior designer and I used to create these elaborate homes for barbie to live in. I would stack books as if to resemble a split level loft, and made little pillows using Beacon Hill and Scalamandre fabric samples. I could get lost in decorating mode for hours!