The Candice Phenomenon

Monday, July 19, 2010 | Category: Art, Designers, Fabric, Furniture, Lighting

Candice and I keep running into each other EVERYWHERE.  It’s so strange, it’s been a while since we’ve seen each other, and then BOOM!  She keeps appearing out of nowhere.  I find myself in a showroom asking the salesperson “who is the designer of this sofa?”  Candice. “Who is this fabric by?” Candice again.  ”You don’t happen to know whose rug this is, do you?”  You guessed it…Mrs. Olson.

We’ve just had too many good run-ins lately, that I’m beginning to wonder if there is a place out there that doesn’t carry something with the Candice Olson name attached to it.

“Candice” is like the decorating BFF that you never knew (in person at least).  She seems so down to earth and friendly…qualities that could make a homeowner feel at instant ease.  She seems easy to relate to and perhaps that is why the Canadian interior designer has done so well in her career.

Most people (especially my clients) are familiar with her through HGTV’s Divine Design but I must admit, I’ve never seen a full episode.  This is the one place we haven’t run into each other (just yet anyways).  I know, a designer never having seen Divine Design?  Unheard of, right?  But 1) I rarely get to watch TV and 2) when I do get the rare chance to watch TV, I try to fill my mind with anything but design.

One thing I know of for sure is that Candice has made herself into a household name.  Through her extensive lines in various showrooms, she has created an empire that I can’t help but be jealous of.

In the recent past, Candice has teamed up with Kravet, Paragon, Silestone, AF Lighting, Surya, Revco, Norwalk, Thermador and York Wallcovering to make the Candice look available to designers and the general public.  I’m curious to know as to when this woman sleeps?  I feel like there aren’t enough hours in the day for little ole’ EJ Interiors, so I can’t even imagine Candice’s workload, all of the places that she has to be, and all of the decisions that have to be made day in and day out for her business.

Some of her pieces that I drool over…

I actually just recently purchased this sofa for my own living room.  It’s the Tina sofa (in off white) from Norwalk and I’m loving it!

I just purchased this Milton sofa for one of my clients…and she’s loving it!  (well, from the tear sheet at least..it hasn’t arrived just yet)

We also purchased six of these Margot chairs for the same client’s dining room (and we selected these without even knowing that we were picking out even more Candice furniture for her house)

Candice’s fabric line for Kravet is just as chic!

I had another client who requested that we use a textured Candice wallpaper in her master bathroom.  We used the Sisal Twill paper and it turned out beautifully!  Now if only the backordered mirror and rest of the bathroom furniture would magically appear to top off this scenario!

{Sisal Twill wallpaper}

{Lattice Wallpaper}

Ok don’t make fun of me for Candice overload, but I want to use this dining table in another client’s home.  I haven’t been able to find a table (at this pricepoint) that has lines and a finish as graceful as this one’s.

{Fitzgerald Dining Table}

I saw this chandelier at The Patricia Group the other day and thought it was the coolest thing.  This would have looked great in my other client’s “man cave”.  Ok, ok I’ll stop!

{Metro Chandelier}

One more…this is my favorite lamp of hers…

{Opulent Table Lamp}

Now I’m curious to know…what’s next for Candice?  I have a good suggestion- how about a paint line?

15 Comments to 'The Candice Phenomenon'

Andrey 20 Jul 10 at 1:01 am

wow. it’s very stylish things!

Sherry 20 Jul 10 at 8:07 am

I have that same sickness! I’m not a designer but I am always drawn to her products whether I know it’s hers or not. I love her work and all the wonderful things she’s created from furniture to fabric. Everything is very classy but often with a modern twist.

momkat 20 Jul 10 at 8:15 am

I think your obsession with Candice is buried somewhere deep in your subconcious – you “watched” plenty of her shows without even knowing it. I had HGTV on all day while you were growing up!

Down Pillow 20 Jul 10 at 10:17 am

I love her show, I have HGTV on when I am cleaning the house, but when it’s her show, I actually stop whatever I would be doing and sit on the couch and watch it

Bethany 20 Jul 10 at 11:31 am

LOVE it! We actually searched all over for the perfect fabric for our new dining room set and found it with one of her amazing fabrics. And at such a bargain! Only downside…not very many people sell her fabric.

Laura Bielecki 20 Jul 10 at 12:51 pm

I love Candice too… her Wallcovering line is a staple for anything rediential that I do. Thanks for sharing more of Candice’s great designs!

Suzy 20 Jul 10 at 9:14 pm

I had the privledge of actually meeting Candice and spending a while speaking with her. I passed this very tall lady in the airport and did a doubletake! We happened to be on the same flight to High Point, NC where she was coming to work on her line of fabrics. It was late at night (delayed flights) and it had been a long day for her, but she was every bit as friendly, gracious and engaging as she comes across in her show. Because of that, I’m her fan for life!

Jenifer 21 Jul 10 at 7:30 am

wow awesome accessories specially the capiz shell made(i guess) mirror and the lamps both are so adorable.

Gayle 21 Jul 10 at 9:39 am

I have been a ” Candice addict” for at least 6 years now after finding her on HGTV.
I am a wanna be decorator and cannot get enough of her show!!
Sadly, I find HGTV has only been reruns of her past shows.
She is THE BEST in my opinion!!

Luka 21 Jul 10 at 10:15 am

I re-did my bathroom last year and used Candice’s designs for inspiration – bathroom looks awesome!

Stephanie 21 Jul 10 at 11:19 am

I had the pleasure of meeting her in Las Vegas a couple of years ago. Flew all the way over there to the Design Center just to get my book signed and listen to her presentation. She is just as she appears on her show, friendly, funny and interesting. Her design line is has such a classy feel to it, you can’t help but be drawn to them.

Classic with a Twist 21 Jul 10 at 4:09 pm

I’m kind of impressed that you have not seen a full episode of DD! I purchase a lot of Candice products from Charles Ray at the WTC for my clients… love the lines and fabrics… only wish she’d come out with another book!

MaterialGirls 21 Jul 10 at 4:31 pm

Sounds like you guys can verify from first hand experience what a great person Candice is in “real life”. Loved your stories! And I love how as successful as she is, she still sounds so gracious!

Classic with a Twist- I’m at Charles Ray all the time too! Was just there yesterday actually :) I bought my Tina sofa from them.

Momkat- maybe that is why I don’t watch HGTV- I got my fill of it as a kid apparently!

Kristen Dowd 26 Jul 10 at 9:05 pm

Emily, Is the lattice wallpaper Candice too? have you seen it in person yet?

KD

wendy 30 Jul 10 at 9:21 am

I as a designer love Candice as well and have long before I became a designer. I actually have that chandelier for sale in my showroom and have used all these pieces is well. You can’t go wrong with her stuff. Thanks for sharing

1 Links to 'The Candice Phenomenon'

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Robin Krahling, Ivana Michalova. Ivana Michalova said: The Candice Phenomenon: Candice and I keep running into each other EVERYWHERE.  It’s so strange, it’s been a while… http://bit.ly/cAWMmE [...]