C. Jere Everywhere!

Monday, January 17, 2011 | Category: Antiques and Collectibles, Art, Movie/TV Sets

I borrowed Mad Men (seasons 1-3) from my grandparents a few months ago, and let me just tell you, I’ve been HOOKED ever since!  This isn’t the first time an MG has blogged about the set design from this addicting AMC show, but there is one element from the set, that hasn’t been pointed out here yet.

The Curtis Jere wall sculpture that you see above the sofa in the photo below really caught my eye for two reasons- 1) it’s amazing and 2) I’ve seen it many times before but just now discovered that it’s a vintage piece.

These pieces of wall decor are not just things of the past (50′s, 60′s, 70′s) …they are incredibly hot right now!  C. Jere pieces are being sold on 1st Dibs and Ebay and according to Elle Interiors-  ”the value of (Curtis Jere) wall sculptures is increasing all the time and should prove a great investment.” You’ll also notice that a bunch of designers as of late have incorporated his sculpture into their projects.

{Sterling Cooper’s former lobby}

Here’s the skinny on these fabu sculptures-

-They were first created in the 50′s by Jerry Fells and Curtis Freiler.

-They are hand-made and constructed out of metal.

-They come in abstract designs and also scenic designs.

{Palmer Weiss Interior Design}

{Elle Decor}

{Metropolitan Home}

{Brass Curtis Jere Raindrops wall sculpture via 1stDibs}

{Flickr}

{Anch Construction Services}

Where would you put this little piece of eye candy if you had it?

11 Comments to 'C. Jere Everywhere!'

decorating ideas 17 Jan 11 at 6:03 am

Sensational info. I look forward to seeing more.

eyeseepretty 17 Jan 11 at 7:27 am

I have loved the C Jere sculptures for years. They add such an interesting dimension to walls. I have two vintage metal wall sculptures that I picked up while thrifting but I’m pretty sure they’re not C Jere pieces as they almost always signed everything.

Jonathan Adler has also started selling licensed C Jere pieces on his website and in his stores. I’m not sure what this will do to the value of the vintage items though….

renee finberg 17 Jan 11 at 7:52 am

me too!
i just finished doing the same.
i had never seen it …
and just finished the first 3 seasons.

it was divine.
it reminded me of when i first moved to manhattan.
i spent quite a bit of time on madison ave with
mad ad men
xx
love the interiors

sketch42 17 Jan 11 at 7:07 pm

There are two gorgeous ones flanking the doors at bergdorf- hung vertically. gorgeous.

Rachel 17 Jan 11 at 10:25 pm

Such an elegant design! I wanted to have something abstract in my home and this design is absolutely stunning! The other one looks vintage and wish to hang it in our living room wall. Gorgeous!

Mr. Goodwill Hunting 18 Jan 11 at 7:16 am

I have been lusting of a C. Jere raindrops sculpture every since I saw one in Colin Cowie’s apartment. They can be expensive. Jonsthan Adler sells there for around $1600. I would get it. I need the right wall to display it on.

Mr. Goodwill Hunting

Double Glazing 20 Jan 11 at 9:11 am

This is such an elegant design. I really love it! Thanks for posting it. Im inspired with the design, i want this to be in my house too. Good job.

cam reynolds 20 Mar 12 at 1:14 am

I have two of the Brass Raindrops Sculptures that I bought in the late 70′s, Also a smaller silver one. I would like to sell them

Cristine 28 May 12 at 7:27 am

to: Cam Reynolds:
I may be interested in purchasing your Jere wall sculptures.
Kindly contact me.
Thank you!

Tim Mitchell 27 Jun 12 at 7:03 pm

Hi,

The sculpture that appears above the sofa in the show Mad Men is not a C. Jere piece…it was made by me using cut steel nails and enameled copper panels. I would say the inspiration comes more from Silas Seandal and William Bowie than the Artisan House/Jere pieces. I made 2 different sculptures specifically for the show prior to production, one in yellows and oranges, and the other in greens and blues (which ended up being used above the sofa). I sell my pieces at a few vintage modern furniture stores in Arizona, southern California and San Francisco. Cheers.

garters and stockings 08 Apr 13 at 2:40 pm

Wonderful web site. Lots of helpful info here. I am sending it to a few friends ans additionally sharing in delicious.
And obviously, thank you on your sweat!

1 Links to 'C. Jere Everywhere!'

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Robin Krahling and Ivana Michalova. Ivana Michalova said: C. Jere Everywhere!: I borrowed Mad Men (seasons 1-3) from my grandparents a few months ago, and let me just tel… http://bit.ly/eop7qt [...]