As a first time homeowner, the idea of filling your entire home with furniture (and filling it quickly) can be daunting and not to mention, expensive.  The case of my home is especially severe because a) I’m extremely impatient and want every room done yesterday (I’m still trying to comprehend the fact that I will live here for 5+ years and there is no deadline)  b) I am constantly changing my mind and switching out things so nothing stays in the same place longer than a month’s time.

{Zoey on the day we moved in…. thinking- “mom, how are we going to take this entirely pink painted house with gross peeling trim from drab to fab (and fill it with furniture) by next week?!”}

So where does this leave me?  Well, in Ben’s eyes it definitely doesn’t warrant buying all new super nice furniture for every room and honestly, I don’t think I could ever have a house of all new things. I love old things just way too much and especially giving pieces a whole new look through refinishing them. Lately, I have been doing a LOT of that.  Sometimes I paint the pieces myself and other times if it’s just too difficult, I hire someone to do it (ok, I admit, a lot of the time I  hire someone else to do it).  Remember the part where I said I was impatient? :)

Here are some of my recent before and after furniture projects and the info on the paint colors that I used-

BEFORE-

Antique secretary-

AFTER-

Antique Secretary-

Paint- Benjamin Moore- 689- Rhine River- Satin Finish

{still needs to be accessorized!}

BEFORE-

Vintage Dorothy Draper-esque Nightstands-

AFTER-

Vintage Dorothy Draper-esque nightstands

Paint- Benjamin Moore White Dove with gold accents

(Need your opinion here dear readers! Do you think the gold is too orangey and should I go back to more of a soft/antique gold or do the outline of the drawers more of a yellow gold like the pulls?) Decisions, decisions!

BEFORE-Funky vintage sideboard with geometric detailing-

AFTER-Funky vintage sideboard with geometric detailing-

Paint- Home Depot- Behr- Custom Color Match

BEFORE-Fiberglass peacock chairs

AFTER-Fiberglass Peacock Chairs

Paint- Home Depot dark charcoal spray paint

{Excuse the flowers falling from the tree and our nice mess in the background :) }

BEFORE-Faux bamboo armoire (can’t seem to find the before photo so I borrowed this photo from Bazaar of Serendipity blog)

AFTER-Faux bamboo armoire

Paint- Sherwin Williams- Pure White

BEFORE-Faux bamboo dining chairs and table

AFTER-Faux bamboo dining chairs and table

Paint- Benjamin Moore- White Dove

So basically throughout the house I painted most of my furniture white and gray so they’d stand the test of time and then sprinkled in other pieces with more bold pops of color to add some excitement.

And stay tuned for the “afters” of these “befores”!

14 Comments to 'Vintage Transformations!'

Meghan 11 Sep 12 at 12:10 pm

Obsessed with the sideboard!! Give it to me.

Megan 11 Sep 12 at 12:27 pm

Oh my goodness! Such great results! I love that you have a vision for the end product! I am in Dallas and I was wondering who you use to paint these pieces?
A referral would be very helpful for a little desk I’ve been meaning to have painted.

Karen 11 Sep 12 at 1:36 pm

I am in Dallas too- need a good painter!!

Carolyn 11 Sep 12 at 2:17 pm

Oh Emily, so incredible – i couldnt agree more with the comment above about you having the end vision in sight, LOVE everything!! Such a pretty palette!

Whitney 11 Sep 12 at 3:17 pm

So I’m in love with ALL of your transformations!!!!

Kristen 11 Sep 12 at 3:46 pm

Love all of your furniture makeovers! Can’t wait to see the glass table and chairs!

Sharon 11 Sep 12 at 5:19 pm

Love, love, love the bamboo table. Where did you find it?

On the nightstands, I’m with you – a bit too “orange”. I like the soft gold on the pulls.

Great remakes!

MaterialGirls 11 Sep 12 at 9:30 pm

Thanks so much everyone! I actually don’t know what is harder- painting the pieces myself or picking out the paint color! I must have done tons of samples of each so I’m glad you enjoyed!

Meg- if we still lived together it would be yours! Too bad you moved out on me ;)

Karen and Megan- send me an email at emily@ejinteriors.net and I will give you a list of a few different people in the Dallas area who paint furniture!

Sharon- thanks for your feedback! I agree, that might have to be tweaked :) As for the bamboo table, I got the dining set in Malakoff (near Athens) at an antique store. I have almost that same table (but in an oval shape) and set of chairs unpainted if you are interested in taking a peek at them! (if so, just email me- emily@ejinteriors.net)

50 11 Sep 12 at 9:58 pm

i love all the makeovers, the furniture came out really nice, good job, very beautiful!!!

Darci 12 Sep 12 at 6:38 am

Great transformations! I love the sideboard and the peacock chairs! Very inspiring.

amy 12 Sep 12 at 7:53 am

i LOVE all the redos! AND i have been dying to redo our our antique secretary as in photo 1. i thought more about shiny black with a fun pop of color inside, but now i’m loving the white! great work!

Brooke 12 Sep 12 at 12:46 pm

Love what you did with all the furniture but really love the sideboard. Painting furniture is definitely becoming a huge trend.

Stephanie@cre8tive 17 Sep 12 at 12:16 pm

Seriously, every single piece is such a statement piece. I love those way better than anything brand new. I see more and more great design and furniture places in TX than any where else on the web, you guys rock the design world in that big state of Texas! Can’t wait to see the table and chair after.

Lisa Ellis 19 Sep 12 at 12:08 pm

All of those pieces are incredible finds. And your transformations… beautiful! Re: gold on nightstands; I love it as is– fresh, bright, and a step outside the safety zone. Really lovely.