https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk5_qujRXWk Tokyo Soul - JERRY THE TEACHER! #17 (Minecraft Roleplay) happy new year 2016 pictures New Years Eve 2016 Happy New Year 2016 Pictures funny for friends, New Year Wishes Awesome Whatsapp Status Updates on Merry Christmas 2016 New Year Jokes 2016 New Year Wishes 2016 New Year Greetings 2016 Happy New Year 2016 HD Images, Wallpapers, Photos New Year Greetings 2016, Sms,Wallpaper,cards New Year 2016 Whatsapp status Happy new Year 2016 Quotes Happy New year 2016 images New Year Wallpapers 2016 Happy New Year Images
Houston Design Blog | Material Girls | Houston Interior Design » “Classy or Trashy?”

That’s why I’ve been missing…I just got back from vacation with my husband, his parents, and brother. We were all over the Caribbean, and I must say, my favorite spot was Trunk Bay in St. John (see above photo). It felt so “Swiss Family Robinson.”

(Bryce and I at dinner on our trip)

Whenever I shop the sales racks, discount stores, outlets, or even the “chain” design stores, I often have to ask myself, friends, or mother/mother-in-law, “is this classy or trashy?” I came to that predicament last night when I saw this zebra rug at Z Gallerie. I am often a victim of, “it’s $169!?! Yes, I’ll take it!” I have gotten burned many a times buying something simply because it was on sale or a great deal and ended up with something I don’t looooove only wanting to replace it with something better in a month. So, everyone, is this rug classy or trashy? Should I hold out for the stenciled cowhide? Or should I be proud that (even though I eat steak) no animals were harmed in making this rug? My justification is that it would be perfect for a future kids’ room, and even though I’ve loved zebra rugs since I was 13, I may get very tired of them as they have now officially saturated the market.

As seen on the Z Gallerie website….

As seen the “Dining Room” of our Apartment…

16 Comments to '“Classy or Trashy?”'

Dianne 08 Jul 08 at 7:34 pm

Love the rug but it doesn’t show under that table. I’d use it some where that it shows!

franki durbin 08 Jul 08 at 11:04 pm

oh boy. in truth, I LOVE the zebra rug concept, but I dislike the ones with a border (like this one). the best ones (even faux) are border free. was that too honest?

Lauren 09 Jul 08 at 12:49 am

No, I appreciate the honesty. I have been going back and forth on border vs. no border. I think I just reallllly like the zebra rug concept under my table. They’re great, you can throw them pretty much anywhere!

Cote de Texas 09 Jul 08 at 2:13 am

I love your dining room and that mirror is wonderful! And I think the zebra is just what it needs!!! You could always pull it out some more toward the camera view. I think it looks great and you’re right – it will be perfect anywhere. If you ever want a real one, cheap, let me know – I have a great source: 1200.

Anonymous 09 Jul 08 at 3:37 am

I like it! Right after I read your post, I saw this, so I’m not the only one!

Lauren 09 Jul 08 at 4:38 am

Thanks for the feedback, Joni and anon…it really made my DR come alive!

PVKansas 09 Jul 08 at 4:43 am

Not good. It’s reminiscent of a flattened squirrel out in the middle of the road. So unless you like road kill, stay away!

Kirsten 09 Jul 08 at 6:16 am

I love how you love honesty!! I think it cameras beautifully. I do agree with the border issue but hey, $169!!!

Lauren 09 Jul 08 at 6:53 am

Yes, for $169, it’s very hard to take back, border and all!

Anonymous 09 Jul 08 at 6:41 pm

I’d recommend the crewel zebra rug from Williams Sonoma home. More expensive, but would be larger under your table.

Anonymous 09 Jul 08 at 6:57 pm

I suggest going to Ikea and buying a neutral colored sisal rug to put underneath the zebra rug. I think this will help to ground your dining room table better (and will help with the small size of the zebra hide).

Anonymous 12 Jul 08 at 4:49 am

I just saw this post from a few days ago…and have to vote against your $169 opportunity; maybe I have seen too many real ones, but this one just reeks of “Design on a Dime”. So sorry! Take Joni up on her offer. She knows the GREAT stuff at the GREAT prices!
Love your blog!

Vickie

Things That Inspire 13 Jul 08 at 8:18 pm

I barely notice the rug because I can’t take my eyes off the mirror and sconces. Love the mirror – where is it from? It is the perfect shape and size for a dining room!

Lauren 14 Jul 08 at 4:36 am

Great idea on the sisal from Ikea, I need to get over and check them out.

Has anyone looked at the stenciled zebra cowhide rugs on ebay? Thoughts?

The mirror is from Restoration Hardware (sadly I don’t think it available anymore). I have seen it at the outlet in San Marcos, Texas though…

animalprintpro 25 Sep 09 at 8:34 pm

Lauren, I love your dining room, it is clean and very tasteful; I think the zebra rug is too small for your setting. It just doesn’t do much for the room. I understand the good bargain, yet I believe that a zebra rug can do a huge great effect in a room, if it is the right one. Not all zebra rugs are the same.
Love your blog!

avantgardenist 31 Dec 09 at 10:06 am

I think it belongs ON the table.