Furniture Friday: Slipcovered Sofas

Friday, April 10, 2009 | Category: Decorating, Furniture

This edition of Furniture Friday is a little bit self-serving. I’ve been looking for a new sofa for…ev…er… and I know I can’t be alone. I think this piece of furniture has to be one of the hardest. Even though I truly agree with Celerie Kemble who basically said: the sofa is like the potatoes, you wouldn’t build a whole meal around a starch, so why build your whole room around a sofa?!  Okay, I butchered the quote but my point is, the sofa must still must live up to a lot of expectations. Timeless, durable, comfortable, washable, the list goes on and on. My search for the perfect slipcovered sofa is not over, but I thought I’d share the different styles that I’ve found.

Contemporary with Graphic Touches:

Ondine from Top Design used a similar (non slipped) sofa from Plantation in one of her rooms. I would love to use this in a black and white room. This is the “Contemporary” sofa from Quatrine.

“New Contemporary” also from Quatrine gets its punch from contrasting piping.

Blocky:

Pottery Barn’s Square Grand Slipcovered Sofa

PB’s Jackson Sofa

Clean Lined with Scooped

Arms:

Best Slipcover Company’s “Charles” Sofa…I love this one!

“Grace” by Quatrine

Charlotte by MG+BW (who, BTW, is having 20% off custom upholstery orders right now)

Traditional:

I have a weakness for English Rolled Arms…this is a new sofa from Restoration Hardware.

The fabulous, Windsor Smith’s slipcovered sofa.

A sofa from Lee Industries, they have the most comfortable eco -friendly sofas, I hope to own one.

Pottery Barn’s Comfort Grand Sofa, I like that you have the option for a box cushion back.

Tuxedo:

I really like this one from Quatrine, it’s simple but still has a little pizzazz!

I’m positive this sofa is by Lee, but I actually found it here.

“Luzerne” from the new, Bernhardt Interiors line.

Leggy:

“Taylor” by Bernhardt.

MG+BW strikes again!

So do you have a favorite?  Any more sources for great slipcovered sofas you’d like to share??

21 Comments to 'Furniture Friday: Slipcovered Sofas'

MyLittleHappyPlace 10 Apr 09 at 3:42 pm

Hi Lauren!
I recently found Material Girls, and love what ya’ll put together! I’m not in the market for a sofa right now, but one day when I am, I too will have such a tough time making a decision.
I would love to see what you gals have to say about the STYLES of these sofas – what the styles SAY, and what it is that draws you in about each different style.
You know, in all your spare time! ;)

Jana 10 Apr 09 at 3:59 pm

Hey Lauren – I found your blog, very fun! So much inspiration here :)

My Favorite and My Best 10 Apr 09 at 4:09 pm

yes!! the crate and barrel oasis sofa is my dream sofa. its photo doesn’t do it justice. you have to see it in person to really appreciate it.

Love Where You Live 10 Apr 09 at 4:15 pm

I’m loving the eco friendly ones — like from natural Lee. Then again, who can resist the rolled English arm. Slipcovered furniture, I think, looks so chic. And yeah to easy living…..-susan

Paloma {La Dolce Vita} 10 Apr 09 at 5:21 pm

Great sofas! I am so glad that you posted some more modern options as “shabby” usually comes to mind when I think of slipcovers. Great finds!

Anonymous 10 Apr 09 at 6:49 pm

I have the eco friendly lee sofa slipped in creamy white linen. I have washed the covers twice and they just get better. Lee is a remarkably enduring company and seem to embrace the times. I get the greatest pleasure from the visual and comfort of this sofa. Hope you invest! Ginny

Kelly 10 Apr 09 at 8:12 pm

I just discovered your blog after searching for black and white decor ideas and I have to tell you I love all your ideas! I came upon last years black/white blog entry and I will definately be following your blog now! Thanks so much for the ideas.

Renee Finberg 10 Apr 09 at 8:35 pm

i love the first one……heck, i love all slipcovers !

happy easter & passover

Ideezine.blogspot.com 10 Apr 09 at 9:04 pm

Well ladies, make your checklist, that’s how I deside.

1. The room (sunny or shady)
2. Function (formal or relaxed)
3. Personal fit for arms, hips and legs.
a.Sofa’s arm height for comfort,(while hunting and gathering ideas out of magazines)
b. Cushion depth comfort(measure your hip to knee for perfect cushion depth. Lower back pressure and deciding if a lumbar pillow is needed or not. Cushion firmness.
c. Sofa height from floor to seat for leg comfort(measure your knee to foot for comfortable extended laptop/cell phone use.
4. Sofa length for nap qualities. Scale of 1-10 (use your pet). How long does your pet nap on the sofa?

Successful outcome? If your pet jumps on sofa as soon as it arrives and stays on sofa often during the day.

This fun checklist is one I came up with and use for my clients and myself. It creates giggles, but it works!

Happy Easter!

Lauren 10 Apr 09 at 9:11 pm

I think a Lee sofa would certainly be my first choice. I love that they are so chic and green!

I really like the Oasis sofa too! Lee actually makes several of the Crate and Barrel sofas so I think you would be getting a great sofa. I’m all about quality – this thing has to last me waaay long than I would like to admit!

Kathleen 11 Apr 09 at 1:38 am

Wow! I have seen some horrendous slip covers, but these are simply divine. Thanks for sharing!! Looking forward to reading more of your posts.

Meade Design Group 11 Apr 09 at 7:10 am

Great selection!

I am sure you will choose the best – a tiny piece of advice – Think if you will love the sofa you choose in 10 years ;)

Thank you very much for following us in Twitter.

Lisa Canning 11 Apr 09 at 2:35 pm

Love the top design sofa. Reminds me of a great tuxedo jacket. Great blog!

Down Comforter 12 Apr 09 at 12:30 am

Boy, slipcovered sofas have really come a long way. Some really great pieces :)

Sofa 24 Apr 10 at 10:31 am

Modern trends in society are making folks ask furniture stores about customizing options for sofa sets. Though pre-fashioned sofas are still around in the market, many people now prefer to get sofa sets built according to their preference and style.

Thanks for sharing..

Sofas

custom bedroom furniture 28 Apr 10 at 2:41 am

Very nice styles and sofas.Actually have to see which style suits the purpose and get up of the room and then go with it.

Cat 03 Jun 10 at 11:21 pm

Did you ever end up buying one? I have been looking forever and ever for a white slip covered sofa. And I can never decide which one.

Lauren-Houston 04 Jun 10 at 3:42 pm

Hi Cat, I ended up having one made! I couldn’t decide either so I just combined the elements of my favorite sofas and had it custom built.

NYC Interior Design 08 Dec 10 at 3:40 am

I love that Octopus pillow, how it swirls around in the square. Perfect for a beach house.

Nantuckt Furniture Company 15 Aug 11 at 12:50 pm

Lauren,
Thanks for the post on slipcovered furniture. I know it’s been awhile since you wrote this post but slipcovered furniture is such a great option for people who want flexibility. Just having the option to machine wash your covers is helpful! Keep up the good work.

kiki 22 Apr 12 at 1:44 am

Anyone have any personal knowledge of the Lee sofa Savannah? Thought I wanted one, but the salesperson today told me about the “soft” support rail causing tremendous sagging problems. All other styles had no problems, and the salesperson had nothing but raves for all other Lee furniture, just the Savannah in particular.

Thanks