Furniture Friday: Writing Desks

Friday, July 10, 2009 | Category: Furniture

Ahhh, desks… another piece of furniture I can never get enough of.  Come to think of it, I technically have three desks in our two bedroom apartment !

Above, in Aerin Lauder’s glamazon dressing room/office you will see my DREAM desk designed by Gabriella Crespi.  It’s soooooo gorgeous.  Here she is again below posing in her “real” office…again, the desk – fabulous!

Here is my round-up of my desks I’m loving this moment…

The “X-Base” Desk

{A personal favorite…I have a steel and glass version.}

Asheworth Campaign Desk by Hickory Chair

The Sawhorse Desk

Glass Top Architect’s Oak Desk from Mecox

Mason Wood Top Desk from Williams-Sonoma Home

The Art Deco Desk

Mannings Desk from Williams-Sonoma Home

The Parsons Desk

I couldn’t do a post on desks without mentioning the famed Parson’s Desk by West Elm.

The Living Room of designer duo Jessie Randall and Brian Murphy’s Brooklyn Apartment (as seen in Domino), immortalized the simple mass-produced white desk.

So, do you have a favorite?  Is it weird to practically have a desk in every room??

16 Comments to 'Furniture Friday: Writing Desks'

Sarah 10 Jul 09 at 8:19 am

The Parson’s desk is an absolute favorite: simple, elegant, and functional. But I also love the ghost desks and the Gabriella Crespie piece up at the top… some sass in a piece of furniture never hurt anyone! :) Thank you for sharing these.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions 10 Jul 09 at 12:28 pm

I really like writing desks, with the openness underneath. I have been thinking about writing desks off and on as I contemplate moving and what I can do in a new home office. I tend toward the Gustavian writing desk style you show, but I’m leaning toward going with a painted black desk.

Tommy Bahama Bedding 10 Jul 09 at 2:20 pm

Some great-looking pieces :) I really love the Craig Van Den Brulle lucite desk – beautiful twist on classic lines.

BeluB 10 Jul 09 at 2:23 pm

Love it! This is kind of romantic:The European Inspired Desk; and The Lucite Desk, a real dream.
I spend my life sitting at a desk, writing stories and things for university, students, etc. Great job!

Marie Cole 10 Jul 09 at 2:43 pm

That first desk is soooo sexy, I absolutely love it! Even though I have a gorgeous practical desk of my own I think I would work alot better with that one. ;)))

Laura Casey Interiors 10 Jul 09 at 7:20 pm

I love both of these! I am on the hunt for a new desk at the moment. Wish I could get one of these!

Lauren-Houston 10 Jul 09 at 10:44 pm

I’m glad ya’ll liked the selection!

Shela Westrate 10 Jul 09 at 11:52 pm

The Lucite desk immediately caught my eye – something about the curves are so beautiful! I love love the Crespi – so gorgeous! Makes me so sad that in our house the office came with a built in heavy lumbering wooden desk!! What to do???

Ali Duffy 11 Jul 09 at 12:52 pm

I LOVE that picture of Aerin! Did you catch her in Elle Decor yet??

Courtney 13 Jul 09 at 10:13 pm

I love writing desks too, and I am still working on obtaining one I love. Your entire round up is great, and I can’t say I have any one favorite, although I think I love the X-Base, Lucite, Parsons and Sawhorse styles the most. I just saw West Elm’s new wooden sawhorse desk and really liked it; it might have even eclipsed their Parsons desk for me at the moment.

Marina 27 Aug 09 at 9:27 am

Can anyone suggest a file cabinet that will go with mannings desk from williams-sonoma. Their matching bookcase is just too big for my space.

Karen 06 Sep 10 at 4:24 pm

Just wanted to mention that Hickory Chair has all sorts of custom options which makes it a fun desk to work with!

maulana 26 Oct 10 at 4:07 pm

what a classic desk..

Olivialeanna 02 Jan 12 at 6:34 am

I love all this artistic work. 23 May 12 at 8:57 am

Nice blog, very creative idea and helpful to everyone for office. Really thanks for sharing this brilliant idea

Sherman Unkefer 18 Oct 12 at 11:26 am

These desks all look so great!