Furniture Friday: Casual Dining Chairs

Friday, August 07, 2009 | Category: Furniture

ashley-whittaker-design-breakfast-dining-room-south-hampton-summer-home-farm-table-french-bistro-chairs-blue-white-sea-shell-six-light-chandelier-french-doors-striped-ruge-carpet

{Breakfast Room by Ashley Whittaker photo from here}

This week’s edition of Furniture Friday highlights the casual dining and/or bistro chair.  I love me some woven french bistro chairs!  So where do I envision said chairs?  Namely a breakfast room or casual eating area other than a formal dining room. From lucite to bamboo, the options are endless – it’s all about how you pair the chair with your table.  I’m a big believer in mixing it up – I’d almost say that I’d NEVER buy a “set.”

1-4

kitchen-1

atlanta4

Atlanta Bartlett via Blueprint Bliss
w2379

Warm Woven Rattan Side Chair from Wisteria ON SALE for $113.30

ch11

French Cafe Chair from TK Collections – these are my favorite!

w2918

Oak “X” Back Chair also from Wisteria ON SALE for $175.20

0095278_pe233755_s3

Slip-covered Parsons Chair from Ikea $99.99

41voxzabxrl_aa260_

I love this chair from Target $159

f_7396

Bertoia Side Chair $460

x2abp286848

Red Chippendale Dining Chairs from Pieces

matc

Farrah Side Chair from Modern Dose

f_17185

The classic Louis Ghost chair by Philippe Stark

11 Comments to 'Furniture Friday: Casual Dining Chairs'

Sarah 07 Aug 09 at 10:56 am

I love chairs and just recently posted some ‘iconic’ chairs on my humble blog…I really love the lucite and the IKEA chairs…

Cristin 07 Aug 09 at 1:19 pm

love this post!

xo,
cristin

Down Pillow 07 Aug 09 at 3:55 pm

The chair from Target is so cool – I’m kinda surprised it’s from Target.

Linda /Mom 07 Aug 09 at 10:25 pm

* Ohhhh, that SCRUMPTUOUS BLUE on the cafe chairs in the first photo leaves me breathless!!!

Down Comforter 09 Aug 09 at 10:02 am

Love the pattern of the french cafe chair!

The Antiques Diva 10 Aug 09 at 4:08 am

Do you know the French cafe Les Deux Magots in Paris on Blvd St Germain? Several years ago they were selling their tradition Drucker green and cream bistro chairs (complete with little brass medalion on back reading the cafe name). They were replacing all their “old chairs” with new ones as they do every few years.

I had just moved from Paris to Amsterdam at the time, but called Les Deux Magots and had them hold 4 chairs for me. My husband and I hopped in the car that weekend, dashed down to Paris (5 hour drive each way) and barely managed to fit all 4 chairs in the Volvo for the return drive (which for me in the passenger seat was more than a little uncomfortable!). When we arrived at Les Deux Magots the manager was so touched that we’d traveled back to Paris for them that he met us and gave us a free book on the history of the cafe and the cafe cup and saucer set with their logo.

When we lived in Paris, we lived around the corner and had breakfasted at Les Deux Magots once a week for 5 years – so when we heard the chairs were for sale we knew we must have them!

For the next 4 years, 2 of the chairs sat at the tiny cafe table in our Dutch kitchen while the other 2 resided in our attic storage until space allowed for them. Now, with our recent move to Berlin our kitchen is big enough for the entire set and I’m loving them! I’m also not a set buyer, but I knew at the time that I’d regret it if I only bought 2 chairs and not 4. Now in my melony-red kitchen kitchen the French bistro chairs always evoke comments!!

C’est parfait!!! Et C’est tres tres francaise!

abby 10 Aug 09 at 11:15 am

I love the breakfast room picture and am interested to know were the rug is from!

Frost 24 Jun 10 at 6:10 pm

Has anybody here bought anything from Modern dose? I bought an item for about $400 for over 6 months ago and I haven’t recieved it. They don’t return calls or emails, so I guess I just have lost my money :( Anybody with the same experience?

toile bedding 01 Jul 10 at 3:07 pm

Breakfast Room from Ashley Whittaker photo is so nice
i like it

wow power leveling 20 Aug 10 at 6:42 am

Your blog is so informative ?keep up the good work!!!!

Edita 07 Sep 12 at 5:57 pm

Beautiful chairs, especially the Farrah Side chair. I like the louis ghost chairs too but in black like here.