White + Cream

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 | Category: Celebs, Decorating, Furniture

tory_burch_w_magazine

Would you mix ivory/cream with stark white?  I’m going to try to pull it off at Casa del Haskett and thought this picture of Tory Burch in her apartment could be a great inspiration (though it could just be lighting and photoshop that makes the sofa appear more cream).  I have an cream leather barcelona chair that I want to pair with a white slipcovered sofa and have been a little concerned about pulling it off!  Monochromatic isn’t always easy people…

Do you grativate towards white-white or ivory & creams?

12 Comments to 'White + Cream'

Chevis 11 Aug 09 at 12:01 pm

I love when people mix ivory/cream with stark white. My mom is doing this right now in her new apartment and everything feels so fresh and comfortable. She asked me this same question just last week, and I told her to mix away!

maison21 11 Aug 09 at 12:09 pm

mixing white and cream is unavoidable much of the time, so i try not to worry about it. repeating it throughout the room helps to make it seem purposeful, especially if you were to plop a white pillow on your cream chair.

my view it’s ANYTHING works together if you say it does, just do it with confidence!

Kerri 11 Aug 09 at 1:04 pm

I love it…and have done it….mixing the pillows with color in helps to give it a better look!

Lauren 11 Aug 09 at 2:04 pm

Ya’ll are both totally right!

Down Comforter 11 Aug 09 at 5:15 pm

I give it a yes vote! Especially when accented with just the rightaccessories!

Julia-Chicago 11 Aug 09 at 7:22 pm

Nothing more soothing and elegant as this mix!
I have moved past what my mother always preached to me as a young designer in training :)
Great post Lauren!

Down Pillow 11 Aug 09 at 10:14 pm

I usually like whites, but I like the mix. Right now, I have a cream sofa, cream side table, & white chest all sharing the same space in the living room.

Maria Killam 12 Aug 09 at 12:05 am

It’s hard to say, I like them both but right now I’m loving white.

Laura Casey Interiors 12 Aug 09 at 6:44 am

When I am working in a warmer palette I tend towards creams and cooler palette I use more white. In general though I think I am more of a white person than a cream…great comparison in the image.

Lauren 12 Aug 09 at 6:02 pm

Thanks for all the input! It was something I’d never even thought of before until I started looking at fabric swatches for a sofa!

Paula 13 Aug 09 at 10:48 pm

I LOVE the mix! It’s so modern and so warm (all white can be a bit stark, I find, but a touch of cream and it’s suddenly sleek and warm). The key is the accessories. For example, an all white couch with lots of cream pillows in different textures and different shades of cream, including one or two at the whiter, mother of pearl end of the spectrum to tie it all together. Something with shine (sequins, little shells) also helps to tie the whites and creams together. I bet you could even find a pillow that has both white and cream in it.

spark! (Ada-Marie) 24 Aug 09 at 8:42 pm

I love the combination! I am trying to convince Mr. Spark to get rid of the ’90s khaki walls in the bedroom and go for ivory with white trim, white furniture, white bedding and white window treatments. Serenity now! ;)