Kitchen Favorites

Thursday, October 15, 2009 | Category: Kitchens

mark maresca kitchen

{Mark Maresca Kitchen}

I feel like I’m a little light on my kitchen posts, and seeing as how I design kitchens everyday, I decided to dedicate this post to my favorite kitchen products.  I know I’m probably leaving out a lot, but these are my favorite “work-horse” products.  Not only do they look great, they are the best functioning products out there.

Appliances:

kdc-graphic

Refrigerators: Sub-Zeros are the best, period.  My favorite model is the Pro48 w/ glass door.  I love the industrial look, and this is the ONLY refrigerator that looks best not “built in”.  Please note that it is still the integrated depth.  I could do an entire post on refrigerators, but I’ll keep this one simple.

fridge-freezer2

Sub-Zero Pro 48

My other choice are the Sub-Zero 700 series – the first truly integrated models.  This armorie below actually houses two of them!

KBIS 2008 006

wolf-cooktops-induction

Wolf 36″ Induction Cooktop

The latest and greatest in cooking appliances is the Induction cook-top (I prefer the one by Wolf).  While most serious cooks prefer gas, this is a great option if gas in not an option.  I love it because it boils water is 60 seconds or less!

silo_01

cappuccino

Probably my favorite appliance – the Miele Coffee System.  I made the most amazing pumpkin latte on this puppy yesterday!  I will tell you this appliance is very high maintenance – constant rinse and cleaning is necessary to keep it functioning properly.  We have the whole-bean system in our office, but you can also choose a model that uses Nespresso pods.

dg4082

Miele Steam Oven - SO many uses for this appliance. I would use it to replace a microwave because it reheats the food by returning the moisture.  Those left-over steaks will taste just as good as new!

l

la-cornue-range

Ahhh, my dream range – LaCornue.  What can I say, it’s a work of art!

Plumbing Fixtures:

My taste in plumbing fixtures are polar opposite – I either like very traditional, vintage styling OR very contemporary and streamlined.  Rarely anything in between.

shaw sink

Shaw farm sink by Rohl - I’d LOVE one of these one day.  I specify A LOT of stainless steel sinks, but I personally love the beauty and function of fireclay.

marble farm sink via cote

{Photo via Cote de Texas}

I recently designed two marble farm sinks for a client – GORGEOUS!

PERRIN AND ROWE VIA URBAN GRACE

{photo via Urban Grace}

Perrin and Rowe’s Bridge Faucet is so gorgeous!

dornbracht-tara-ultra-kitchen-faucets

I’d say the majority of my clients really want a pull-down faucet.  My favorite is by Dornbracht.  The Tara Ultra faucet (on the left) is another favorite of mine.

Lighting:

Design_Pro_LED_under_cabinet_2_610x285

Okay, for the unglamorous first: the newest in undercabinet lighting (not “undercounter” as many people accidently say), LED undercabinet light fixtures.  Pricey? Yes. Worth it?  I think so.

amydmorris_090316_151final_thumb[1] via things that inspire

{Amy Morris via Things That Inspire}

I love lantern fixtures, and I especially love a pair over an island.

amanda nisbet kitchen

{Amanda Nisbet}

I remember seeing this kitchen in O at Home and I was immediately smitten with the pendant fixtures and barstools!

m_CHC1154CG

via alkmie

{Via Alkemie}

I love a whimsical crystal chandelier.  Even in a contemporary space – it really gives this kitchen personality.

ingram-kitchen-l via a lifes design

{Via A Life’s Design}

Another trend I’ve seen is woven basket pendants.  I love them!

m_SL5176HAB-HAB

Industrial Pendants are still very hot!  I love them in bronze and polished nickel finishes.

Cabinetry:

Picture_2

My favorite cabinetry right now is the Beaux Arts line by SieMatic.  Designed by American designer, Mick deGiulio for the German cabinet line, it fuses traditional elements in a very clean, fresh way.  I also happen to sell it :)

Backsplash Material:

antiqued mirror backsplash

Mirror with antiqued patina.  Yes, I STILL love this stuff.  Gorgeous (and practical) on a kitchen backsplash.

7-windsor-smith-xlg-78343434 via pink wallpaper

{Windsor Smith via Pink Wallpaper}

Two things I love – black cabinetry and white marble.  I really like the marble shelf on this backsplash.

mixed up mosaics

Mixed Up Mosaics is an amazing company out of NYC that specializes in custom mosaic tile.  The niche in the photo above is all glass mosaic.

burnham kitchen

This kitchen by Betsy Burnham proves that backsplash tile can make the kitchen!

Barstools:

ktichen 2 via tti

All time favorite barstool by Lee Industries.

angie h kitchen via paloma

I also LOVE these in Angie Hranowsky’s kitchen.  My friend Katherine has a pair almost exactly like them, and she may be selling them – email if you are interested.

I know I breezed through these items pretty quickly, feel free to email me if you have a specific question about anything I featured.  I promise to post more kitchen and bath related items!

18 Comments to 'Kitchen Favorites'

Things That Inspire 15 Oct 09 at 9:13 pm

This is an absolutely fantastic post – I am very into kitchens these days, as I am about to hire a kitchen designer to help me out with my kitchen. One thing I keep noticing – long kitchens (a la Ina Garten’s barn kitchen, and the first kitchen in this post) seem to be popping up more and more in my image files. Is it because people are moving away from lots of overhead cabinets (although the Maresca kitchen has a fair share of overhead cabinets), or because they fit in the space? Maybe it is because people seem to be doing ranges with the over integrated, instead of double ovens.

Lauren 15 Oct 09 at 11:31 pm

How exciting about the kitchen remodel! I think that the long layout is determined mostly by the space, but you’re right, I do feel like I’ve been seeing more and more of them these days. Commercial style ranges are probably the most popular option, and if space allows I usually put a second oven somewhere else in the kitchen (yes, even with huge Wolf ranges – this is Texas you know, ha ha).

Down Pillow 16 Oct 09 at 12:55 am

AMAZING images!!!! I now have some major kitchen envy – thanks :)

Things That Inspire 16 Oct 09 at 5:04 am

Thanks to this post, I had dreams about kitchens all night long!

One thing I wanted to ask you – have you used microwave drawers in any of your designs? I once read that microwaves are the ‘red headed stepchild’ of kitchen design – they have been around for decades, but people still don’t know how to incorporate them into the kitchen in the most functional and aesthetically pleasing way. Microwave drawers seem like the perfect solution – have you ever used one?

Lauren 16 Oct 09 at 9:43 am

That’s so funny you dreamt about kitchens – happens to me more times than I would like to admit!

You are dead on, the microwave can be the stepchild of the design. I love the mircowave drawer! One thing you should be aware of is the interior cavity height is not very tall, so warming up a Grande cup from Starbucks is not likely!

Things That Inspire 18 Oct 09 at 7:16 pm

You inspired a post on kitchens on my blog, with a link to yours! I have some new ‘never before posted’ pictures of kitchens that I think you will love….

melissa @ the inspired room 20 Oct 09 at 7:53 pm

Now I REALLY miss my fireclay sink. I cannot wait to replace this horrid faux stainless one!!!

Lovely post!

B. Scott 21 Oct 09 at 7:17 am

Quick question, is your friend still thinking about selling her bar stools? I may be interested. Thanks!

Kelly 21 Oct 09 at 8:04 pm

I would love to know where the rectangle light fixture is from! I love that for over an island :)

Joseph 22 Oct 09 at 12:47 pm

You have started a very interesting discussion on kitchen design. I’m a cabinetmaker who really does not want to make kitchens for a living, because the most of what is done in the US is just boxes with a “choice of doors and drawer fronts,” the most of which are made in a factory somewhere. Boring. I want to do something else if I can, but what?

European design just absolutely blows my mind, and I find myself reading quite a bit on it, even though these are often modular kitchens that one would simply send away for and have installed by a local craftsman. But what fascinates me is the utter innovation of those designs, so I find myself returning to them quite a bit.

I am also looking to design a kitchen for my wife in a too small space in a tract home, which necessarily lets out those wonderful European designs that excite me so. And whenever I find myself going out on a limb with some idea or another for our kitchen, my wife always grounds me by saying, “If you stick with the classics, you won’t grow tired of them.”

So, what do you do that is different and yet timeless and practical and stimulating to make if you’re a cabinetmaker? Damned if I know, but if I ever figure it out, I mean to make it for us and splash that baby all over the Internet!

What you’ve written, though, has given me quite a bit to think about, and I thank you for sharing your concepts.

Remodeling Contractors Palatine 23 Oct 09 at 6:42 pm

I think that when you are remodeling you want to be around the project as much as possible!
If you can do a lot of it yourself that helps on quality and money.
Usually the best job done is the one you do because you know how you want it done and you
want it done nicely because you’ll be seeing it everyday – the contracter wont!
Thanks for this blog it had a lot of great information!

Gale C 25 Oct 09 at 11:01 pm

My kitchen is red very red I’m lost on the living room color. Sence these rooms run together I’m thinking of something in the orange hue not bright but muted color. I just don’t know if this is to much? also from my kit/livi you can see the bath that I painted purple. I love this color and need this all pulled together. With the living room color any ideas.

thanks.

Jeffrey Mason 12 May 10 at 6:31 pm

My friend recently opened up a shop for assisting with decorating kitchens and other rooms. She bases a lot of her stuff around using concrete creatively. Check it out at http://www.creativeconcretedecor.com.

Evan Hardingham 14 Oct 10 at 11:31 am

wow! so much cool stuff.
Have not thought of concrete sinks as making a comeback but having just seen a very modern house in adelaide australia.
where the whole theme is concrete in just plain grey but with loads of cool textures used to great effect
a change from white porcelain sinks and fittings to something in concrete would be great.

plumbing 10 Apr 11 at 10:40 am

These kitchen are very admirable especially the kitchen with the black and white colored tiles. The designs and the kitchen fixtures complimented each other.

plumbing supplies 17 Apr 11 at 11:35 am

Wow! You featured a lot of amazing kitchen furniture. I like the design of the kitchen on the first photo. It looks very stylish.

Kitchen Doors 10 May 11 at 11:35 am

Love the kitchen design in Pic no. 1. It is not too expensive but awesome design. I love to renovate and remodel kitchen as a house wife. Thanks for sharing.

plumbing 23 May 11 at 7:44 pm

Nice collection of kitchen pictures. Very beautiful and neat. For me, kitchen is my favorite room in our house so you better take care of your kitchen. Clean them everyday and maintain it’s good color.

5 Links to 'Kitchen Favorites'

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Mally Skok, Material Girls and Jennifer Lamb, Jessica Logan. Jessica Logan said: Houston Design Blog | Material Girls | Houston Interior Design … http://tinyurl.com/yg3y45a [...]

[...] Read the original here: Houston Design Blog | Material Girls | Houston Interior Design … [...]

[...] from: Houston Design Blog | Material Girls | Houston Interior Design … Share & [...]

[...] my last post on my favorite kitchen products, I decided I needed a follow up post on a few items I realized I [...]

[...] If you are new here, you might want to subscribe to the RSS feed for updates on this topic.After my last post on my favorite kitchen products, I decided I needed a follow up post on a few items I realized I [...]

Trackback from Kitchen Favorites -Part Two | My.BuzzCritic.com on October 21, 2009