The “Unfitted” Kitchen

Monday, January 11, 2010 | Category: Kitchens

itscomplicated kitchen

{It’s Complicated Kitchen via Cote de Texas}

Although I painstakingly design kitchens to maximize every possible square inch, I do love the look of an “unfitted kitchen.”  To me, “unfitted,” literally means that the cabinets are not fitted between walls.  This was the manner in which kitchens were once installed in homes before the German cabinet company, SieMatic, introduced the worlds first “fitted” kitchen.

While the images I have assembled may not be a literal translation, they embody the same principles of the kitchens of the early 20th century.  These kitchens recall a time before sippy cups and loose Tupperware, before steam ovens, built-in coffee makers, warming drawers, and 15″ wide ice makers.  These kitchens’ imperfect charm still inspire designers and homeowners today.  Fortunately technology today makes it easier than ever to show the appliances we want to see, and hide the ones we don’t!

southern accents kitchen

{Southern Accents}

newlyweddiaries kitchen

{Newlywed Diaries}

jill sharp brinson

{Jill Sharp Brinson}

steven gambrel kitchen

{Steven Gambrel }

Greenwood_11

{P. Joe Shaffer}

martha stewart living kitchen via newlywed

{Martha Stewart Living}

martha-bedford-stable-kitchen-eddie-ross via newlywed diaries

{Martha Stewart Living}

plain english kitchen via newlywed diaries

{Plain English Cabinetry via Newlywed Diaries}

chris novak berry

{Chris Novak Berry}

amanda holiday kitchen

{Amanda’s kitchen from The Holiday}

steven gambrel sea captain

{Steven Gambrel}

10 Comments to 'The “Unfitted” Kitchen'

THE DAILY BASICS 11 Jan 10 at 1:26 pm

Absolutely fabulous – my favorite kind of kitchens, So much more interesting and utilitarian hen pre designed!

Connie at Sogni e Sorrisi 11 Jan 10 at 2:08 pm

I can appreciate the relaxed look of these kitchens but I don’t think I could ever go in for one myself. The lack of storage space…the pressure to put beautiful things on the shelves (and constantly dust!), too much for me!

Brandee 11 Jan 10 at 5:52 pm

Each of these kitchens GLOWS in their own way. I love the third one, though.

Kate john 12 Jan 10 at 7:29 am

No doubt that all of them are praise worthy but i like the second last one cause it got some unique accent with awesome shades.

Kerri 12 Jan 10 at 10:07 am

I love the Jill Sharp Brinson kitchen….although I love many of them….that one is so open and I love the windows and the light!!!!

lil jessy 13 Jan 10 at 7:11 am

I love the kitchen of Amanda cause its wide and full of accent.

Joseph 14 Jan 10 at 11:10 am

These are some absolutely glorious designs. I’m a cabinetmaker who is always surfing the Internet looking for something new and exciting, because when I do our bathrooms and kitchen, I do NOT want to do the same thing everyone else does. As yet I still have not figured out what I’m going to do, but one fine day I hope to have something wonderful to share with people on the Internet. And if I do, concepts like these will help me get there. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Terri 12 Jan 11 at 5:46 pm

Wow .. they are all amazing, but if I could pick my dream kitchen it would P. Joe Schaffer’s … looks like you’d walk outside in be in Tuscany .. love it.

Cabinetry Los Angeles 28 Jul 11 at 5:38 pm

I like Steven Gambrel kitchen, because it is beautiful and spacious.

Eleanor 21 Nov 11 at 7:29 pm

I love unfitted kitchens with shelving for dishes and cookware instead of upper cabinets. If I could have my dream kitchen it would have the above plus a double porcelin sink on legs, a 1920′s Hotpoint electric stove on legs and a big wooden work table with a lower shelf for appliances, a wooden dresser (yes, that’s right) to use the drawers for silverware, utensils, dishcloths, lids, pots and pans, etc. And, of course) a nice, BIG walk-in pantry. Unfortunately I live in a small mobile home so my dream kitchen is not possible in the space I have.

1 Links to 'The “Unfitted” Kitchen'

[...] than ever to show the appliances we want to see, and hide the ones we don’t!” Check out The Unfitted Kitchen for more beautiful examples of early 20th-century kitchen design. var addthis_pub = ''; var [...]

Trackback from The “Unfit” Kitchen | Sophisticated Stone on April 06, 2010