My Sweet Little Distraction

Friday, August 20, 2010 | Category: Design Inspiration, Kids

So I may be a little preoccupied as of late.  Sure clients, moving, and my husband changing jobs is a lot to keep someone busy, but the most important distraction has been the anticipation of my sweet baby girl.  My husband and I are gearing up for a new change in life and I couldn’t be more excited, scared, nervous, overwhelmed, or overjoyed!

I could not wait, I HAD to know the sex of the baby. I just couldn’t do a unisex nursery.  Since I was just certain I was having a boy, I had my color scheme and vision all figured out.  I just wouldn’t allow myself to fancy the thought of being blessed with a little girl.  When the radiologist said, “girl,” you could have knocked me over with a feather!  The rest of the afternoon was spent in and out of baby boutiques and me trying to come up with how I would outfit the nursery.

To my surprise, I loved the all white linen bedding with crazy-full bedskirts but knew I didn’t want the room to go too shabby chic.  I realized this would be the perfect place to use the color scheme I’ve been dying to try out in my own home…Lilac, silver, charcoal, gold & white.

The room is pretty small considering I’m going to squeeze a crib, dresser/changing table, full sized bed, and glider all in the space.

The bedding will be custom, but this is an idea of the look I was immediately drawn to.  I’m going to add big lilac satin bows to the bumper and a matching monogram.

The walls will pick up on the color of the bedding accents.  This is, “Hydrangea” by Serena & Lily.

The vintage bow-front dresser we already have will be re-painted in a chalky soft dove gray with a little rottenstone in the crevices.

Ivory silk taffeta curtains will flank the one window in the room.  I may end up adding a valance or cornice…

Obviously, I have to throw in a gold accent.  Dreaming of this chandelier from Pieces.

White Linen Slipcovered Glider from Lee for ME.  Very excited about this.

The guest bed will be dressed in simple white linens with a long leopard print pillow.

I’m still working on my walls…I love the paper maiche zebra from Anthropologie.

Other misc. things I’m liking…

So there you have it, the start of the nursery!

11 Comments to 'My Sweet Little Distraction'

IJEOMA 20 Aug 10 at 5:09 pm

Oh wow! Congratulations and celebrations! Looking forward to baby pics.

Enjoy your weekend!

Julia B. Edelmann 21 Aug 10 at 1:56 am

So excited for you both!!
Little girls are the most amazing gift that keep on giving :)
xoxo

Ann 21 Aug 10 at 3:09 pm

Congratulations! Cannot wait to see the room. How exciting.

Liz Keough 23 Aug 10 at 4:58 pm

You’ll definitely want an ottoman that doesn’t scoot and a small pillow for the glider. The pillow is very helpful for feeding the little buggers when they are too small for the boppy to be of any use. Congrats and have fun – my 3 month old is such a joy.

Paloma {La Dolce Vita} 24 Aug 10 at 1:09 pm

I am so excited for you, Lauren! I can’t wait to see the nursery once it’s finished. I’m sure it will be beautiful.

Karen Davis 24 Aug 10 at 6:57 pm

Congratulations! Girls are a lot a fun especially with decorating. You have a shopping buddy for life!

Laura Bielecki 30 Aug 10 at 3:04 am

Congratulations Lauren. What a beautiful look for a babies room. I love the animal and metallic touches. Can’t wait to see it finished along with your little bundle of joy!

Live Like You 12 Sep 10 at 11:05 pm

Looks like it will be a fantastic room!!

spark! (Ada-Marie) 16 Sep 10 at 7:52 pm

Congratulations, girls are the best! I can’t wait to see the nursery — love your inspiration!

Alli B 09 Oct 10 at 8:31 pm

Hi Lauren -

I’m expecting too and LOVE all of your nursery ideas! Hope you’ll keep posting with great finds. I’m in love with the glider that you pictured, but can’t seem to find it online. Can you tell me where I could buy/order?

Thanks!

Alli

Lauren-Houston 11 Oct 10 at 10:31 pm

Hi Alli,
The glider is by Lee Industries. I’m not sure where you live, but you can do a dealer locator on their website to try to locate a showroom that carries it near you! Good Luck!

2 Links to 'My Sweet Little Distraction'

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Ivana Michalova, Robin Krahling. Robin Krahling said: My Sweet Little Distraction http://bit.ly/bZBrrY [...]

[...] or paint had been selected what the color scheme would be. Read about my initial design concept here. We’re currently leasing so my goal was to purchase pieces that would be flexible down the [...]

Trackback from Sadie’s Nursery | My.BuzzCritic.com on January 07, 2011