Mixing Metals in the Kitchen

Monday, November 15, 2010 | Category: Kitchens

{Steven Gambrel}

As a kitchen designer, I get asked constantly about mixing metal finishes in the kitchen.  People tend to get a little matchy when it comes to their appliances, decorative hardware, plumbing fixtures, lighting, and even decorative metal hoods.  I’m here to say that it doesn’t have to match!  In fact, I usually prefer it not.  Steven Gambrel mixed warm gold decorative hardware (very bravely I might add – not an easy sell) with stainless steel appliances.

In “The Holiday” kitchen, stainless steel appliances and decorative hardware works with darker toned light fixtures.

{Kitchen from Atlanta Homes & Lifestyles}

This traditional white kitchen features polished nickel faucet plumbing fixtures (my favorite) with silver toned decorative hardware (can’t quite tell if the finish is brushed or polished) and a black light fixture.

{Kitchen via Caesarstone website}

The kitchens in the photos above and below make the case for matching your decorative hardware, plumbing fixtures, and appliances.  The look is clean and fuss-free.

{Canadian House & Home}

{Courtney Hill}

I love the polished nickel pulls and plumbing fixtures that make this otherwise simple kitchen sparkle.

{Cynthia Ziegler via Things that Inspire}

{Elaine Griffin Interiors}

Copper and stainless steel – yes, you can mix those two finishes!

{Emily J Followill via Late Check In}

{Steve Giannetti}

All matching stainless/brushed finishes

{via Full House}

Katie Lee (formerly Joel’s) Hamptons kitchen – I LOVE this mix of stainless and gold!

8 Comments to 'Mixing Metals in the Kitchen'

Sarah 15 Nov 10 at 9:14 pm

Some stunning pictures. I really like the gold mix which suprised me, you are right very brave

Cynthia- Awesome Interiors 16 Nov 10 at 12:27 pm

Enjoyed reading and viewing the pictures. I get the same question alot about mixing metals. Thanks for touching on that topic!

susan abramson 16 Nov 10 at 2:09 pm

Agree, love mixing metals! It is not easy, but if done right, it is SO much more interesting than all matchy matchy. Mixing brushed nickel with chrome is not as gutsy, but I like that little bit of tension as well. My clients ask the same questions so this is a great piece to direct them to for additional reassurance. Thanks!

Kitchen Cabinets 16 Nov 10 at 4:28 pm

Great picture of some outstanding kitchens.

Dizzie Sim 16 Nov 10 at 4:57 pm

I love receiving your posts – they are fabulous pictures and they provide great ideas! Thanks so much for sending… Cheers!!

Carolina Eclectic 01 Dec 10 at 4:31 pm

Lauren, great article. Love your collection of photos!

Wow! Those are really outstanding kitchen designs.
I like the most Elaine Griffin Interiors kitchen design and the mix of copper and stainless steel.
I think those two metals make a great combination and give each other a very nice looking contrast.

Annie Callaway 28 Sep 11 at 4:22 pm

Thanks for showing that mixing metals can be beautiful. Some of the most frequent questions we get from customers when they are buying copper sinks are about matching faucets. Every now and then we get a brave soul who is willing to try a satin nickel faucet with copper.

We need to see more designs done with mixed metals so I was especially glad you published that photo of the stainless range and copper hood. Striking!

1 Links to 'Mixing Metals in the Kitchen'

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Robin Krahling and Ivana Michalova, Scribble Boutique. Scribble Boutique said: MG: Mixing Metals in the Kitchen: {Steven Gambrel} As a kitchen designer, I get asked constantly about mixing m… http://bit.ly/crrG2R [...]