Bougie or Bourgeois?

Friday, June 03, 2011 | Category: Budget Design

I think it’s time for another round of “Bougie or Bourgeois?”  **Formally known as “Trashy or Classy.”

In my last post I talked about how I want to spruce up our depressing patio.  I already have the Ikea Tulip Table and a Pair of these Eames Chairs.

I had originally thought of doing another pair of wood folding chairs to go with what I had, but now I’m thinking I should get another pair of the Eiffel chairs…so help me – are the wood folding chairs above BOUGIE OR BOURGEOIS??

12 Comments to 'Bougie or Bourgeois?'

Jessie@www.mixandchic.com 03 Jun 11 at 2:05 pm

I prefer the Eames wire chairs, they have the looks and substance. There is nothing wrong with the folding chairs, they just look a bit generic, in my opinion.

Melissa 03 Jun 11 at 2:13 pm

I’d go with the Eiffel chairs!

interior design firm 03 Jun 11 at 4:13 pm

I like the wood folding chairs, but they don’t compare to the eames chairs. It might be interesting if you use the wood folding chairs in another area of your patio (not around the same table as the eames chairs) and maybe paint them and add throw pillows in a great fabric. Sounds like a fun project weekend….good luck!!!

Lauren-Houston 03 Jun 11 at 10:10 pm

I love the idea of the eames chairs around the table and wood folding chairs (and maybe not this particular set) on another area of the patio.

Stephanie 04 Jun 11 at 12:52 am

The Eames chair! It’s interesting and unique.. I think it would fabulous!

Simply Grand 04 Jun 11 at 5:14 pm

Forget the wood chairs, although not, as Jessie observes, because they’re generic. Things become generic in the first place because their form is well suited to their function. The wood chair is generic in the same way that an unornamented Wedgwood cup is generic, or the original Volkswagon bug. It’s not a slam on the design–or the material.

No, the problem isn’t the wood chairs’ style, but that adding a third design to the mix would mess up an aesthetic equation that’s already perfectly balanced. Like they say on the playground, two’s company, three’s a crowd.

ap 07 Jun 11 at 9:29 pm

I’m into the mixed chairs, but I think the wood ones need to be painted some bright color – robin’s egg blue or orange or something amazingly ZING.

anna@ fireplace glass 24 Jun 11 at 2:04 am

The last featured chair was so unique!

Jamie Herzlinger 30 Jul 11 at 5:04 pm

It’s not that the wood chair is “bougie” but the other two pieces are so stylized that the mix doesn’t work!
Have a great weekend
Jamie Herzlinger

fb-architecture 06 Aug 11 at 8:55 am

I don’t think the wooden chairs are going with the table… if you really want another peace of chairs at that table i think it’s better you choose something in the same style, the same century (if you know what i mean!) it can be a different sort of chair but these styles are not going great together. It’s really like “oh, i don’t have chairs left, wait in back of the garden i have other 2 so take those!!”
Hope i helped you!!!!!

Rene 18 Sep 11 at 4:00 pm

I love the clean look of those room. I especially love the orange chair and pillows. I wish my home was this nice.

Eames Chair 28 Oct 11 at 6:48 am

I prefer the Eames wire chairs, they have the looks and substance. I think the wood ones need to be painted some bright color.