A Book CAN Change It’s Cover

Saturday, July 18, 2009 | Category: Books, Designers

2hue

An associate of Kelly Wearstler sent me an email this past week with the newly shot cover for her upcoming book “Hue” after seeing the blog post I had written last month featuring the original cover (below).  I was happy to feature the new book cover – which I like a lot more!

hue

Which cover do you prefer?

16 Comments to 'A Book CAN Change It’s Cover'

Down Comforter 19 Jul 09 at 7:49 am

Definitely the new one. The first is so busy and almost cluttered. The second really seems more calm and simple.

Things That Inspire 19 Jul 09 at 8:22 am

Oh, the new cover by far! Less cluttered, more symmetrical and pleasing, and KW looks 10 years younger. I am not normally one for fashion, but that dress and those shoes….beautiful.

Naomi Chokr 19 Jul 09 at 11:09 am

I like the first cover!!!!! It makes a bold statement!

Christina Thongnopnua 19 Jul 09 at 1:35 pm

I love the new cover…it’s crisp and clean with lots of style that lends to a timeless, non-trendy feel!

Linda Merrill 19 Jul 09 at 1:46 pm

Thanks for posting the original cover, which I hadn’t seen. I was wondering what it looked like that #2 was supposedly an improvement. I don’t like #2 because KW looks so stiff and awkward. I like her dress and styling better than #1, but it’s too stiff otherwise. Too symmetrical, don’t like the halo/aura effect from the artwork behind. Ultimately, I don’t think either cover is successful because she never looks approachable and nothing looks comfortable. Not good for a book on interior design.

Dorm Bedding 19 Jul 09 at 3:13 pm

I definitely like the new cover better – it’s more modern & I really love her look :)

Monique 19 Jul 09 at 4:26 pm

I like the second one better its more glam and I love her frilly outfit more to look at first one is boring

pigtown design 19 Jul 09 at 6:01 pm

she looks like an alien on the front of the original cover. people will get so distracted by what she’s wearing that the decor will go un-noticed. the new one is WAY better.

Bromeliad 20 Jul 09 at 8:40 am

Don’t like either one. Although Kelly looks mahvelous. (Except for those shoes. Yikes.)

Book title doesn’t stand out. Is the book about color? If so, the photos aren’t telling the story.

Bigger title. Simplify top of photo. Put Kelly at the bottom nice and horizontal on something with an interesting “hue.”

kate (pm) 20 Jul 09 at 12:58 pm

New one!

Jessica Boudreaux 21 Jul 09 at 9:44 am

I have poked fun at her before for her over-the-top outfits, but only because I love them and wish I was ballsy enough to wear them!

I like the the image below better…she even looks more comfortable in the glamazon look. In the photo above she looks more mainstream, watered down and her pose is unnatural and uncomfortable.

Being a designer and an artist is about taking risks…even at the risk that others won’t understand or appreciate. -jessica boudreaux

Julia 22 Jul 09 at 9:11 pm

Ooooo… I don’t care for either one.

Courtney Reagan 23 Jul 09 at 12:05 am

HATE them both!!!! Love Kelly too much to see her do this to herself. Sorry :)

Designer for Life 24 Jul 09 at 10:25 am

The cover is in the “eye” of the beholder. The new cover is very edgy and vibrant, with bold color. The symmetry is important for balance, especially since the author is the main focal point on the cover and you don’t have to search for her among the design.It works perfect for the those readers who like to see things organized and in balance. It will also appeal to a wider range generation of artist and designers.
The first cover is also full of color and not quite so symmetrical , but that cover captures are reader who doesn’t mind the “search for a rare pearl” as far developing and creating a design plan or who is maybe alittle electic and post modernistic. But the challenge with the asymmetrical cover like the first ,is making sure everthing is in balance while maintaining your focal point. Also make sure that that the cover does doesn’t look “over weighed” on one side. In the first cover , the author who is the focal point has to compete with the large gold bust next to her. She doesn’t stand out very much with the ruffles (and there are lots of them) she is noticed for that but the eye is drawn to back to the large gold bust next to her. The reader doesn’t really get what she wants to discuss. HUE. It looks like she wants to discuss neo-classical design.
Either way it all depends on who the authors target market and what important information does she have to share.
But with all that said, personally I like the new cover!

Karen Olivia 24 Jul 09 at 3:50 pm

Between the two, I like the new one much better. She is a bit big in proportion of the photo though, it makes it look like the book is on her rather than her interiors. But I am a fan and will order this book when it comes out :)

Cheers,
Karen Olivia

Ashley Brokop 23 Aug 11 at 7:35 pm

The new one for sure. She looks way younger for one. the other cover makes her look stuffier and more serious. The first is playful, colorful, youthful…need I say more?!?