Wall of…frames?

Sunday, August 30, 2009 | Category: Home Exteriors, Walls, Windows

I recently wrote a post about a wall of mirrors…well, how about a wall of frames?  Gilded window frames, that is!  An architect in Sweden is building a housing project with windows of gilded window frames.  This project consists of 2 houses, both 6 stories wide, with 14 apartments (9 of them duplex apartments), glossy white enameled facade panels, with cast aluminium window frames that are gold leaf painted.  This reminds me a lot of something Philippe Starck would have done – mixing modern with rococo, neo-classicism, etc.

housing-project-in-helsingborg-by-wilhelmson-arkitekter-061921291

6 Comments to 'Wall of…frames?'

Down Pillow 30 Aug 09 at 7:53 pm

Such an interesting unique idea :) I was wondering how these frames would hold up to the elements, but I kind of think they’d be even more beautiful with a little wear showing.

Kindle 30 Aug 09 at 8:05 pm

I really like those mirrors, that is so awesome, inspires me to think outside the box! Yeah how would it stand up to the elements? i am sure there is a special glue for that though. Thanks

Michaela Harlow 31 Aug 09 at 8:33 am

I never frame my artwork, as I prefer the viewer to see my layered paint on the sides of the panel, (with the exception of delicate work on paper). So, I find this artistic use of the frame fascinating. Often artwork is better off unframed, and I think we now a great example of how those ornate-beauties may be re-purposed for the better. It did bring a smile to my face!
All the best,
Michaela

Julia-Chicago 02 Sep 09 at 8:31 pm

I am thinking about moving again…

jaime 04 Sep 09 at 2:47 pm

Love, so original and cool- featured in my Friday Faves :)

Brian Antifonario 26 Feb 10 at 11:04 am

Wow! I am in awe.

I was recently researching high-end museum quality frames and found this image leading to your blog.

It is inspiring and as an artist and picture framer, it is refreshing to find someone who thinks outside of the “frame.”