Never Ever Neverland

Saturday, November 07, 2009 | Category: Celebs

As a resident of Bel Air, I like to follow the Bel Air Association Blog to keep up with such neighborhood news as: recent bobcat sightings, the latest home invasions, street construction, & of course, highlights of properties on the market in the neighborhood.  Take, for instance, this property that apparently Michael Jackson was in negotiations to purchase just prior to his death.  The estate is 20,000 square feet, has 15 bedrooms, 16.5 bathrooms and includes a two story guest house, swimming pool, spa, fitness center, tennis courts, and…I must be leaving something out?  Oh, the asking price: $37,995,000.

Here’s a little peak of what MJ would have gotten for his money:

24_Layer_10_full

80035_Layer_9_full

162_0040_Layer_4_full

And, of course, Michael Jackson touring the property:

michael_jackson_new_neverland_house_01_0009_Layer_7_full

michael_jackson_new_neverland_house_01_0001_Layer_15_full

last1ouse_01_0013_Layer_3_full

I’ll refrain from commenting about the interior decor and leave that to you, dear readers…

{Images via TMZ}

13 Comments to 'Never Ever Neverland'

Auie 08 Nov 09 at 3:34 am

This is an aahhhmmazing house!!! 30mill is soo worth it with everything in here… wow! i love it.. the entertainment/living area is just my favorite…

Ron ( the Netherlands) 08 Nov 09 at 9:22 am

Love your blog.
Hate this particular house.
Isn’t this house the ‘worst professionally done house in bad taste’ ever!!!
It must have been done y a professional company, but what professional in the Western hemisphere has this bad taste? It reminds me of these huge inpersonal palaces you may see in Arabic countries.
It was great to see and have a good laugh, but it will never inspire me.
Thanks anyway and I think you have very good taste as I follow your blog for quite some time now.
Best Regards from The Netherlands
Ron

maison21 08 Nov 09 at 1:49 pm

unbelievably garish and ugly, so it would have been a match made in heaven. now that the MJ deal has fallen through, the best option would be to tear it down- i can’t imagine finding another buyer tasteless enough to want to buy it…

Julie Dexter-GoldLeafCustomWalls 08 Nov 09 at 2:48 pm

As a gilder I would have loved the work, but this place is a testimony to selfish greed & the height of egoism. I wonder how many people could have been fed with the money spent on this? I guess the Decorator made out well. I might also add, as we say in Zen, “Cluttered mind- cluttered home”,
“cluttered home- cluttered mind”

Geli 08 Nov 09 at 3:49 pm

What you see is plenty of proof that money cannot buy you taste!

Dallas Decorum 09 Nov 09 at 12:44 am

I think I just threw up in my mouth….ugh, ugh, and ugh!

Queen of Cashmere 09 Nov 09 at 4:35 am

I’m speechless. To think someone created this and thought that it was lovely boggles the mind.

geebee 09 Nov 09 at 2:40 pm

still raggin’ on mj? jeez louise. pretty home. 30mil sorta out of my price range. :D

UGH! 09 Nov 09 at 2:55 pm

What was that thing under the crochet cover in the bath room on slide 11? Some kind of washer or ??? ugh! What happened to discreetly hiding appliances? Such ornate, fancy schmancy and then in your face this THING they had to cover up to hide it in the photo. Why take the photo? Did someone say “duh!”

PerfumeGirl 09 Nov 09 at 3:17 pm

This is so gross. So true that money can’t buy taste…

rita 11 Nov 09 at 11:45 am

It’s obvious that none of you who made comments has knowledge on renaissance decoration. This is really far to look like an arabian palace. Do you even know arabian decoration and mudjar art? I like it, it is very french in the XIV century with a mix of contemporary details. For this type of architecture I cannot see a better outcome in decoration than this one. Just dislike the black bathroom and the living room. I’m sorry if I made any writting mistakes I’m a Portuguese student of Decorative Arts.

Julie Dexter-GoldLeafCustomWalls 11 Nov 09 at 10:49 pm

To Rita, Your writing is perfect, and I simply love Portugal,by the way. So true about French decor etc. Louis XIV is one of my favorite Kings (although Louis XV was cuter!). I agree with you in regards to history & it’s decor, which I enjoy. However, I believe the point is that this is “modern times” and something this overdone isn’t really very correct. I’m working with a client from middle east who also thinks this much lavish is “tasteful”. It’s really only tasteful at Versailles.

down pillow 19 Nov 09 at 5:49 pm

What an amazing gilded property fit for a king – thanks for sharing :)