The Classic White Kitchen

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 | Category: Design Inspiration, Kitchens, Shops and Showrooms

{image via Elle Decor}

There is something about a white kitchen that screams “classic, clean, and timeless.” While it may not be an appropriate look for every home it is often a request for many of my clients. With the right mix of finishes, there are a lot of variations on the classic white kitchen.

{image via La Dolce Vita}

The bright accents of yellow make this otherwise all white kitchen fun!

{Hicks Pendant by Thomas O’Brien, available through Circa Lighting}

Globe pendants are stunning above a kitchen island!

{image via Birch & Lily}

Black countertops are a great contrast to white Shaker style cabinets.

Absolute Noir from CaesarStone.

{image via My Paradissi}

Can’t quite give this kitchen credit for being all white, but it still remains classic as being black and white – and I love it!

{Carrara Keystone, available through Waterworks}

A Carrra backsplash is undeniably classic.

{image via Pinterest}

Varying from traditional Carrara marble countertops is this more unique stone, Biano Macabus Quartize – stunning! (Read about it here)

{image via Pinterest}

A more modern classic white kitchen, always looks sharp when paired with stainless steel appliances.

Subzero-Wolf stainless integrated wine cooler.

{image via Flickr}

A warm wood flooring, contrasting countertops, and bronze hardware give this all white kitchen characteristic (& the beadboard wall of the pantry too!)

Pulls from Restoration Hardware.

{image via Decor Pad}

Mixing countertop materials, such as in this kitchen with a butcher block island creates visual interest.

Butcher block countertops, available at Lumber Liquidators.

{image via Apartment Therapy}

Last but not least, if you are going to play it safe with classic white cabinets – why not go a bit dramatic with the floors!

(Which can be achieved through staining, read here for the how to.)

13 Comments to 'The Classic White Kitchen'

Shubana 11 Jan 12 at 11:39 pm

My favourite kitchen looks almost always include a thick and clean edged marble counter top. The collection of pictures were great ! Thanks for the breakdown of materials too !

Jorge Guardado 12 Jan 12 at 1:01 am

Wonderfull desing, selection of materials, smart way to use the space and traffic areas and chic.

Jackie {York Avenue} 12 Jan 12 at 4:14 am

I love these white kitchens! I like the white mixed with the black countertops, and white mixed with wood accents is one of my favorite looks. I like the way they can look clean and crisp, or on the modern side, or rustic. White is so versatile in a kitchen but it just really works perfectly, as all of these pictures show. I have major kitchen envy now!

Susie @ Maddie's Nest 12 Jan 12 at 8:29 am

Thanks for the link to my blog. We were out at the fabricator this week and our Bianco Macubus quartzite will be installed next Wed. I cannot wait. We are doing white perimeter cabinets with a pale grey subway tile and a grey island….dark wood floors, light grey walls and a firplace mantel to match the grey on the island. A variation on the classic white….

Susan, The Kitchen Designer 12 Jan 12 at 10:26 am

Beautiful, classic, simple, elegant, stunning. Who doesn’t love a white kitchen?? Great eye candy today!

Emma 12 Jan 12 at 12:03 pm

LOVE this kitchen. Very classic and simple, looks beautiful!

Raynette 12 Jan 12 at 2:22 pm

I am loving that the white kitchen is back. There is nothing more timeless!

Shawna @ Modern Haven Interiors 12 Jan 12 at 6:39 pm

I work at a tile and stone gallery and spend each day designing kitchen backsplashes and countertops. Just wanted to point out that, while definitely beautiful and classic, there are a TON of options for backsplashes beyond white 3×6 subway tile … while keeping within the all-white kitchen idea. Don’t be afraid to play with sizes and patterns and accents when designing your backsplash! :)

Kristy @ I Design Love 13 Jan 12 at 10:26 am

I am in love with the Niano Macabus Quartize counter. It is gorgeous :)

Jennifer Fawbush 14 Jan 12 at 6:07 pm

I have a white kitchen and would love to take the one blank wall and put in some pretty open shelving like the ones in your fourth picture from Birch & Lily. My question is, WHERE do I start looking for beautiful open shelving? I’d love something with substantial but relatively understated “corbels” and so far everything I’ve found is too “low-end” for my kitchen!

wholesale cabinets 18 Jan 12 at 4:01 pm

i LOVE these white kitchens! White kitchens always look so clean to me. Thanks for sharing… great finds!

kitchen pantry cabinet 12 Feb 12 at 4:31 am

LOVE this kitchen. Very classic and simple, looks beautiful!

Sandi Hansen 20 Feb 13 at 12:07 pm

For me, a white kitchen does not only mean classic but it also means cleanliness. There are many that we get to compare to a white kitchen. It also means that the owner is very meticulous when it comes to dirt.