Lighten Up!

Saturday, January 28, 2012 | Category: Decorating, Design Inspiration, Paint

Occasionally it’s refreshing to see interiors that are airy, light, and bright. While dark colors can be exciting and dramatic, lighter colors tend to be more soothing. Often times, clients request warm colors for the sake of having some richness to their rooms. Yet, this past week I did a paint color consultation for a client’s new home where we went with “barely there colors” – paint colors almost devoid of anything but a hint of color. ┬áSometimes it’s nice to “lighten up!”

{image via Hometown Girl}

Tone on tone, whites and creams.

Benjamin Moore Elmira White HC-84

{image via Pinterest}

A crisp white, bright entry!

Benjamin Moore Decorator White 1-04

{image via Home-Styling}

Light with a subtle hint of pink.

Benjamin Moore Mirage White 2116-70

{image via House & Home}

Cool blues and grays.

Benjamin Moore Wales Gray 1585

{image via Pinterest}

Off-whites and grays.

Benjamin Moore Owl Gray 2137-60

{image via Pinterest}

Cabinets painted in greige with a soft white contrast.

Benjamin Moore Ozark Shadow AC-26

{image via Pinterest}

A tone on tone affect with a hint of warmth.

Benjamin Moore Lancaster Whitewash HC-174

{*for E., for giving me the great quote}

12 Comments to 'Lighten Up!'

Sarah 28 Jan 12 at 10:11 pm

Fabulous! they are all beautiful! I love all white…;-))

Katie Anderson 28 Jan 12 at 11:18 pm

That first room looks like heaven, seriously. If I could keep things clean I’d dump my leather sofas and dark wood tomorrow.

Amberly 29 Jan 12 at 4:10 am

Very pretty!! What a nice space to come home to. I love bedrooms that are all white/very light neutrals. Dreamy.

Veronika 29 Jan 12 at 6:34 am

love the 2nd picture

Kitchen Shelves 29 Jan 12 at 7:03 am

I love the use of white in any room. Its such a clean colour and works so well and easily with most other colours.

ANNEsherwin 29 Jan 12 at 11:17 am

JUST F A B U L O U S!

Susan, The Kitchen Designer 29 Jan 12 at 12:49 pm

Oh my goodness, I lovelovelove these images! The only problem I have is the white cushion at the breakfast nook-accidents waiting to happen! Unless plastic covers are added on top ;) KIDDING!

Elle 29 Jan 12 at 4:12 pm

Pewwww it was a joke…@susanthekitchendesigner I was about to have a design nervous breakdown mid sentence when you referenced plastic covers. I love this blog sooooooooo much and I am always looking for your daily post in my inbox. You are the only email I can’t bring myself to delete (and I have deleted travel confirmations, vouchers, you name it I can delete it).

Interior Designer Adelaide 29 Jan 12 at 7:26 pm

They’re really cool, and I literally mean cool, the shade of white together with other colors being on its backgroud/sidings makes the design very friendly to our eyes, it makes the house glow. Great design.

Andi Hrncir 02 Feb 12 at 2:36 pm

Love, love, love these images! You can never go wrong with white and it always looks so crisp.

Marceli Bonadiman 22 Mar 12 at 5:46 pm

OMG!! I love your blog!!! Just found it on google.. and I am loving it.. I am redecorating my house and these pictures are a great help!! Great inspirations!! Thank You!!

Jessica 31 Mar 13 at 3:52 pm

I love your lighten up! blog post. I feel the same way…sometimes rich/dark tones can appear dreary. I just wanted to make sure…is the Elmira white in the picture of the bedroom (with large dark mirror), second from the top? Does the Elmira white appear a perfect grey-beige balance in person as it does in the picture (and others I have seen)?

Thanks!