Busy Bee!

Thursday, July 09, 2009 | Category: Furniture, Material Girls Projects

I think I’ve had the busiest two weeks of my life! Well, maybe I’m being over dramatic, but it has been pretty hectic trying to run a business, oh, wait, two businesses, and take care of my two little girls FULL TIME (ok, they go the babysitter’s maybe once a week, but as you can see, they are my little tag alongs for the most part)…

dscn3015

A shipment of new furniture just came in and I decided to take the logistics of shipping it all into my own hands! Bad idea, Hilary! Bad idea! I’ve been schlepping out to my warehouse with a razor blade tearing open furniture in the blazing heat with my poor kids bored out of their minds and turning red in the cheeks from the humidity!

Why it’s worth it:  Cutest chair ever! My daughter (pictured above) screamed when she saw it!

dscn3006

…and this chaise! Wow! Not a chaise you can take a comfy little nap on, but it sure LOOKS good, and you can spill virtually anything on here and it wipes right off! What mother can’t appreciate that!

dscn3021

Thank goodness for my little helpers! They make the insanity worth it!

dscn3023

Chartreuse! One of my favorite colors! This is a new finish I was trying out and it looks so bright and refreshing in person!

I also have an unbelievable project in a very cool NJ home that I am installing this week. I will post picks asap. It is insane!…and so is my life right now! Wish me luck! Any encouraging words from other mothers/businesswomen…please post!

11 Comments to 'Busy Bee!'

Jackie Von Tobel 09 Jul 09 at 1:54 am

First let me say – love the furniture especially the chest of drawers. It all has a crazy Disneyesque vibe. Secondly, my kids cam to work with me for 20 years and it was a struggle at times but for the most part it was well worth it. They never tired of stomping on bubble wrap or winding themselves up as tape mummies. Today my youngest, my daughter is in her second year at design school and is fully capable of running a design business on her own.. She know way more than her teachers and continually frustrates them by proving them wrong. You will never forget the great times you have with your girls at work. Just don’t let them near magic markers!!!! Bad idea…

Kelly 09 Jul 09 at 9:00 am

Those chairs are adorable! and I agree with the poster above that the chest is the amazing, I would love to have those pieces in my home although my husband would probably hate it:( I’m a stay at home mom right now trying to run a very small crafts business so I’m nowhere near your level but I can appreciate what you are going through and my hat is off to you for doing it!

Christine 09 Jul 09 at 9:40 am

I have to agree with Jackie, I had my two children with me when I was running a business. My oldest is now in Graphic Design School and my other young adult can run her own business once she is finished school. Your children will learn more from Mom then a teacher standing in front telling then what to do. Visual and and actual seeing is a first look at the world and they will soak it all in with out you knowing about it.
Cheers my Lady you are doing a Fab job.

P.s I love your style.

Christine

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions 09 Jul 09 at 11:33 am

I love that pink chair! Where can I find it? Your girls are real troupers~ you should treat yourselves to a nice ice cream shake after that kind of day!

I like the chest of drawers too. It would be nice to see something (reasonably priced) that looked similar but that was a filing cabinet piece.

Ada-Marie 09 Jul 09 at 12:23 pm

Hang in there! You and your kids will have fun stories and memories to last a lifetime. And you are a great example of a hard-working, passionate person!

Tommy Bahama Bedding 12 Jul 09 at 12:40 pm

Oh, I can’t wait to see photos! You picked some gorgeous pieces – I absolutely love the chaise & the chest. Awesome :)

Allie@ Ebates.com 17 Jul 09 at 6:27 pm

I am falling in love with tufted furniture. Horchow has some exquisite pieces that cause near hysteria in me!

shelby 04 Aug 09 at 5:06 pm

i absalutly love those pieces of furniture. its so unique yet classy but retro!!! wow i love it!

Laura @ Shoot-Scoop 12 Aug 09 at 5:42 pm

I have just found your blog and I LOVE it! My daughter (who is about your daughter’s age) would have an absolute blast with that chair. A dream!

Hilary - New York 19 Aug 09 at 12:02 am

Wow, thanks Moms for your encouragement! I was on the verge of quitting today…again, and then I started reading all your posts! Feels good to know I’m not alone!

Pam 01 Jan 10 at 8:27 pm

It would be great to do a toile chest of drawers. would you lacquer the material on?