Since my post a couple of months ago on masculine decor got such a great response, I have decided to write a ”Part Deux” on the subject, and also feature a great store in New York City called “Mantiques”. Ingenious name!

Here is some of the macho-classic decor they sell…

19th century lions head

19th Century bronze lion’s head

xIMG_6250-01

Animal motifs are very man-chic.  It’s a way for them to say that if they lived in the early 19th century, they could have been an adventurer back when Hemingway epitomized the classic macho man.

robert passal

This vignette puts the theory into context. This room by Robert Passal is very masculine-sexy with the animal motifs used in contrast with the romaticized nudes on the wall. It definitely gives you the sense that this man has interests beyond football and beer, and that is a beautiful thing!

English telescope

Another Mantiques treasure and archetypal “manccesory” is the telescope.  It again goes back to wanting to be that free spirited adventurer, rather than just “Bob in accounting”.

Revolver Trade sign

Ah, the gun.  A perfect expression to the world that there is nothing emasculate about its owner, and I so prefer it as a mounted piece of art rather than tucked inside your nightstand.

STEEL AND STUDS:

Giant hobnail safe

Antique steel studded safe. SO SEXY!

Michelle Boyer Table

Steel Michelle Boyer table, also sexy!

124348754_6f0c0937e3

Thinking YOU are a stud, NOT SEXY!

Sexy Masculine Interiors:

eric piasecki

Comfortable, sophisticated, and clean strong lines. A perfect specimen.

David Hicks House beautiful, coca cola brown walls

David Hick’s apartment. Sexy! The neutrals make a masculine interior timeless!

2314326235_959bd38cc4

This interior has some feminine touches like the French Baroque chair, but the neutrals and the black and white detailing on the walls accentuating the architecture is definitely a masculine aesthetic.

miles reddd

A sexy man loves to read and books make a great accessory! Miles Redd exemplified this here in his master bedroom. I like how they are just sort of unkempt, like he was browsing through them and didn’t put them back yet.  It shows he actually does read them!

hudson hotel

The very Man-Chic library at the Hudson Hotel in NYC.

hudson 2

Notice the HUGE metal light fixture (another example of their love affair with steel).  This is what I wish most men defined as a “mancave”. However, their definition looks more like this…

3002231077_fd4a3293f7

All hail the flatscreen! The funny thing is, that if you show these guys what a masculine, sexy room could look like, they DO like it!  They just can’t do it themselves.

(Thank god we are here to help! )

Getting them to read something other than Sports Illustrated, or to wear something that actually fits like it’s suppose to, or even to take the trash out without being asked…well, that’s another story, just try to remember, it’s not going to happen overnight. It takes YEARS!  My husband still has about five years left on his (my) plan, but we are making GREAT progress! Ten years in and he can now pick up after himself (no heavy cleaning though), he puts the toilet seat down about 80% of the time now, and he can even put his clothes away by himself  (even if it takes a few days), but the point is, we ARE making progress!

Baby steps, baby steps!  Good luck ladies! ;)

17 Comments to 'Sexy Masculine Decor II: Featuring “Mantiques” in NYC'

sketch42 18 Oct 09 at 6:50 pm

Love this post! I actually like this look myself and I am a girl! Sometime I like to imagine that I am hemming way, hunting, traveling, drinking…. writing!!!

Julieann/CreateGirl 18 Oct 09 at 7:01 pm

Oh great post! I love the round dining table, those chairs are fantastic and I want them for myself!!

Down Pillow 18 Oct 09 at 11:25 pm

Great pieces :) I really like the bronze lion head – classic.

Dan and Deanna 18 Oct 09 at 11:59 pm

What a great post . A lot of great ideas for a room for my husband that he would really like.

Have a great day.

Dan and Deanna “Marketing Unscrambled”

Slifer 19 Oct 09 at 12:44 am

One can say you have adhered to the aesthetic without going overboard

Peter 19 Oct 09 at 2:21 am

Thank you! You often write very interesting articles. You improved my mood.

Tammy@InStitches 19 Oct 09 at 9:22 am

Beautiful rooms. Wait a minute …….. I didn’t see any dead animal heads on the wall !

Blog Author(s) 19 Oct 09 at 9:29 am

I saw similar art like this walking through some ruins in Greece in 2002. It was painted by the entrance, with prices listed right next to it.

Comfort Sleeper 03 Nov 09 at 4:37 pm

This is a really good article and the way it’s sealed off at the end is so true. Baby Steps!

J. Foster 03 Nov 09 at 5:35 pm

Great pics of my new favorite design spot! So how do I decorate my long living/family room? HeLp!!$$

Courtney 23 Nov 09 at 3:20 pm

Love the man-tiques and man-chic phrases- very clever!

Decorative Wall Art 04 Dec 09 at 3:16 am

Informative posts and some nice design ideads too, I love the colour schemes with the round coffee table. Thanks for sharing.

izdelava spletnih strani 04 Dec 09 at 12:51 pm

Some really cool stuff here, i think there isn’t a chair thats missing.

Kangaroo-kids.net 13 Dec 09 at 1:03 am

IMHO,It is hard to put those items inside the “decor” category.. Most are just bad gadgets on a stick!

renee finberg 20 Dec 09 at 10:37 pm

wonderful post with great finds
i love ‘the man chic’ library.
looks like s super spot to hang.
xx merry christmas

lil jessy 13 Jan 10 at 7:15 am

Who will not love to play the pool in that dazzling ambiance.

maya 18 Jan 10 at 7:22 am

Baby Steps sums it all up! Those guys seem comfortable in those chairs, where can I get something like that for my guy, thanks!!

4 Links to 'Sexy Masculine Decor II: Featuring “Mantiques” in NYC'

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Julieann Covino, Material Girls . Material Girls said: Sexy Masculine Decor II: Featuring “Mantiques” in NYC – Since my post a couple months ago on masculine decor got su… http://ow.ly/15VJpT [...]

[...] Excerpt from:  New York Design Blog | Material Girls | New York Interior Design … [...]

[...] 1. living room with leather sofa 2. kitchen/dining area 3. bedroom 4. desk 5. living room with artwork 6. man cave 7. map room 8. cowhide [...]

Trackback from The Man Cave | Interior Domain's Blog on June 20, 2012