Get the Look for Less

Wednesday, March 10, 2010 | Category: Budget Design, Decorating, Fabric, Furniture

It’s always disappointing to browse through a decorating magazine,  fall in love with a room or a specific look and then realize that everything you love isn’t in your budget.  The idea here is to find the look and find it for less.  If you spend enough time browsing the internet and looking for a bargain, you’re bound to come across a good deal.  All it takes is a little patience and time- which, i know, most people don’t have.  Here are a few examples of finding the look for less:

Jonathan Adler X Bench – $495

Ballard Designs X Bench – $179

Antique Louis XVI Chairs – $1,000+

Wisteria Louis XVI Chair – $279

TK Collections French Bistro Chairs – $700+

Beaufurn French Bistro Chair – $395

Kravet Tilbury Lapis Fabric – $59.80 per yard

Schindler’s Tilbury Fabric Lapis – $14.95 per yard

Geometric Fabric – $80+

Calico Corners Diamante Flax Fabric – $17.84 per yard

If you can’t find what you’re looking for but just have to have it (for less) - don’t be afraid to ask the experts!

11 Comments to 'Get the Look for Less'

enrolled agent exam 10 Mar 10 at 4:01 pm

Love the zebra and pink contrast. My daughter wants her bathroom redone in a zebra, hollywood-glam type theme. Not sure if I am going to do it, or not.

down bedding 10 Mar 10 at 4:26 pm

Love that little French bistro chair!

Nancy@marcusdesign 10 Mar 10 at 4:44 pm

It’s so true that we have to try to have patience when on a budget! And when you find a piece that you are in love with that is at an amazing price nothing beats the feeling!!

Gina McClung 10 Mar 10 at 6:16 pm

I love the geometric fabrics. I have noticed several people upholstering headboards and the base of their beds. It looks like they spent a fortune, and all you need is the right fabric.

Julia-Chicago 10 Mar 10 at 8:49 pm

Great post!
Always sooo refreshing to see what other options we all have to share with our clients!
Welcome aboard!
xo

Sarah 11 Mar 10 at 7:25 am

Oh I posted that first photo a couple a posts ago :)

Its easy to get exspensive looks for so much less, I badly wanted a square solid timber coffee table 1mtr x 1 mtr and everything I found was a bout $800 but I kept looking on the internet for second hand tables and found a roughed up one for $50! Stripped the varnish, gave it a sand and waxed it now everyone compliments the table, it looks a million bucks.

I also managed to find two glass base lamps in an op shop with the tags still on ($200 each) for $65!

With a couple of smaller exspensive items these things looks like the costs a small fortune and I really don;t have much to spend on interiors but I do have champagne taste :)

Love you blog!

Rebecca-NY 11 Mar 10 at 7:55 am

Thanks! Happy to have joined the team!

gina 11 Mar 10 at 7:01 pm

Great post!!! I love it! Thanks for the great resources!

Crystal 13 Mar 10 at 1:50 am

That french bistro chair is absolutely gorgeous! Looks almost like the original. I love how the blue really stands out.

Classic with a Twist 21 Mar 10 at 9:07 pm

Love the price on the Ballard X bench… great look for less- I know readers love posts like these!

Ellen 14 Apr 10 at 11:24 am

some of these seem so similar it feels… illegal? I understand that things look similar, and you can take a high end piece and strip down some of the features to make it more affordable, but how is the Ballard X bench not just a flat out knockoff? Jonathan Adler is big enough that it probably doesn’t hurt him because he has such strong brand recognition, but for smaller designers who spend a lot of time prototyping and manufacturing, a cheap knockoff hurts

4 Links to 'Get the Look for Less'

[...] Be sure to checkout her recent post, Get the Look for Less! [...]