The kitchen (in most cases) is by far the most used room in your house, even if it’s a studio apartment in NYC and sits on one wall of your entire living space.  You cook (or at least grab a plate to put your take-out on), you eat (if there’s room), you feed your kids, your cats, your dogs and you usually end up congregating in the kitchen when you have people over.  So if you’re spending so much time in your kitchen why not spend time making it a really comfortable and cool space that both you and your visitors can enjoy.

Create a comfy place to sit if you have the room

Don’t be afraid to add a splash of color!

Make the breakfast nook as cozy as possible

As far as city living goes, you’re usually stuck working with a limited space.  No excuse to ignore your kitchen.  In fact, you should give it more love and attention.  Check out these great small kitchens and let them inspire you to create a cooking nest of your own.

A new hanging fixture, trendy colorful runner, simple subway tiles, new appliances and simple white cabinetry with updated hardware has made this small space desireable to hang out in.  Are you asking for too many cooks in the kitchen?  Maybe, but if that’s the case, you’ve done something right!

Use your pots and pans as decoration and design

The floor is the best place to add a little punch.  If checkerboard isn’t your thing, pick a pattern that is and get out your paint brush.

Again, the floor has been given some life and the roman shade adds an element of modern chic

One of my favorite small kitchens by Ruthie Sommers.  Don’t be afraid to paint the walls in a small space a dark color.  Just remember to keep the cabinetry and trim bright and popping – like this eye catching turquoise door!

Find a fun wallpaper and paste it to just one wall

15 Comments to 'What’s Cookin’?'

Nancy@marcusdesign 15 Apr 10 at 7:45 pm

Great minds think alike! I posted some of my kitchen inspirations today as well. I am in love with the light and bright look of marble (as a backsplash and counter) as in one of your photos above. You can’t go wrong with simple and sleek subway tiles either, that is what I opted to put in my kitchen since it is definately budget friendly!!

Zoya 15 Apr 10 at 11:48 pm

to be honest the first one doesn’t attract me may be for black color in kitchen but the others are marvelous like the kitchen iv & v and the small kitchen iii. love the themes and the accessories so decorative and i think lite colors attract more in kitchen.

Sara Kate 16 Apr 10 at 2:58 am

The 2,3,4, and 5 kitchen make me swoon. Great picks.

sketch42 17 Apr 10 at 11:27 am

That first picture is a tad wacky! What is it? Where is it?

Gail 17 Apr 10 at 3:53 pm

I could live with any of the kitchens except the first. Who would want to eat in that? Maybe I should remodel my kitchen this way so I stay out of it! Then I may actually loose those last 5 lbs!

The other photos bring a tear to my eye for their beauty!

rebecca 19 Apr 10 at 9:25 am

yes! the first kitchen is a bit wacky and i wouldn’t want it as my own either! i just wanted to show you the lengths you can go to, to make your kitchen fun and funky – using your own style of course. i think gail is right — maybe this decor would keep us out of the kitchen and is the diet we’ve all been looking for!

Diane 21 Apr 10 at 2:13 pm

I’m looking for some interior design advice. We just bought a new house in Atlanta. The dining room is 11 x 11. The 3/4s of the walls are covered with Judge’s panels (white). I want to paint the remaining top 1/4 black. We have a very beautiful granite dining room table that has blacks, reds, greens, golds running through out. Also a beautiful crystal light fixture. Good idea or no?

Rebecca-NY 26 Apr 10 at 1:35 pm

can you send me pictures? my initial reaction is to say yes – go for it. the more contrast the better and i love the idea of strong black against white. i can give you a definite answers if i have pictures though!

Diane 26 Apr 10 at 1:52 pm

Yes, I can. Where should I send pictures?

Jennifer 26 Apr 10 at 2:40 pm

Do you know where the runner in kitchen picture 7 is from? I love the citrus green color and geometric pattern – would love to get one for our space – thanks!

Jennifer 27 Apr 10 at 9:44 am

Love this Blog! I got a little dizzy with the first Kitchen however the others are so beautiful and a littlw whimsical- Thanks for sharing! We’d love for you to check out our kitchens!

Lisa 27 Apr 10 at 10:07 am

Fabulous Blog! I love the idea of kitchens to congregate with friends. The kitchen is the hub of our home and an expression of us and our lifestyle. We have tried to create a space that is warm welcoming and inviting. I love the use of a variety of tactile materials in the room. We included a fireplace, wood fired pizza oven, and a massive center island to keep everyone engaged.

Caroline 28 Apr 10 at 1:36 am

The first is my favorite! its so unique and fun.

withandwhere 18 May 10 at 1:10 pm

The third one is my favorite!

Jared C. 29 Nov 10 at 9:57 am

Extremely cool pics. Love the red and black cabinets especially! Great info. Thank you for sharing it with us.

1 Links to 'What’s Cookin’?'

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Kitchen Whisper, bot_interior and Material Girls , Robin Krahling. Robin Krahling said: What’s Cookin’? http://bit.ly/dqMJ1G […]