I’ve got the BLUES

Thursday, May 13, 2010 | Category: Color, Decorating, Trends, Walls

Outside of blue being my favorite color I’ve noticed that it’s made a comeback in decorating in a big way.  Not only are people leaning towards more blues, they’re leaning towards the brighter more electric blues that add a huge POP to any color scheme.  Blue is probably the most calming color because we associate it with water and sky — that’s not to say a brighter more electric blue will keep you calm and resting in your seat.  Take a look at the mix of blues I found and see which one works best for you.

A calming, more elegant living room with subtle and soft blues

A baby blue sofa with a bolder bamboo wallpaper adds an edge to the room and makes it less traditional

Bolder fabrics from Quadrille create a nice splash in this LR

A turquoise painted floor changes this kitchen from drab to fab very quickly

Ashley Whittaker painted her bookcase in an aqua high gloss which adds just enough punch without going overboard

A beautiful navy blue den.  Simple yet divine

A real simple baby blue wall and navy blue stripe on the floor gives this otherwise dull off white furniture a little lift

Another blue walled room that’s filled with fun, trendy fabrics and a zebra rug that’s calling for entertainment

This dining room is definitely for the daring, pop art loving, strong contrast kind of person.  If you’re going to use an electric blue on the walls…black and white are just enough to complete the room

Have fun with your wallpaper and floors by choosing geometric or tropical prints in blue

These blue throw cushions will add a ton of flavor to your furniture and may even hide the fact that it’s outdated and needs a facelift!

Tags: , , , ,

13 Comments to 'I’ve got the BLUES'

ErikaF 13 May 10 at 1:38 pm

the pop art = Lichtenstein … i have it in my office, which had yellow and white striped ceiling and 1 wall that is chalkboard paint and the rest all white – it looks fabukous!

Tracy Monroy 13 May 10 at 5:20 pm

I just stumbled upon this blog and love it! I’m totally going through a blue phase too! Never was into blue but then I tried something different with nail polish and boom! I’m hooked! I would never even think about blue walls or furniture for my decor projects but I really am now. This post gave me a ton of inspiration! Thanks so much!

Kim@Chattafabulous 13 May 10 at 5:49 pm

Hard to pick a favorite! I am intrigued by the simple navy blue den. I am a new fan of blue – I have always loved green but got my feet wet with blue via turquoise!

Maya 13 May 10 at 6:27 pm

Thanks for the BLUES. Blue is my favorite color, and I love the nice designs you found. Just thinking, why is my blog not blue? I guess I was in pink-and-green spring mood… Anyway, as far as interior design goes, I love different shades of blue combined with white and silver elements.

sajjal 14 May 10 at 12:55 am

the wall picture on blue back background wall is so embellishing

Laura Casey Interiors 14 May 10 at 6:25 am

Blue is my favorite color too. I am all for the comeback.

withandwhere 18 May 10 at 1:09 pm

Blue is turning out to be a favorite in a lot of my design schemes. My favorite here might have to be the bold dining room.

Katherine 20 May 10 at 9:46 am

I love this! I am moving up to New York in August and am thinking about painting my bedroom Tiffany-blue with white trim and white and black accents. Any paint color recommendations? I am completely lost on where to begin.

doorknockerstvshow 20 May 10 at 3:14 pm

are you or someone you know in need of a major renovation in one room in the house???

if there is a neighbor/friend/sister/brother/boss/spouse/roommate/relative that you want to surprise with a visit from a DIY host to make their renovation dreams come true, shoot us an email!!!!

now is the time to put the complaining to a stop one and for all!!

we are looking to come knock on your door and make dreams come alive!! email us at doorknockerstvshow@gmail.com

Helena 21 May 10 at 8:00 am

I would love the sofa in babyblue and I have a kitchen with turqois walls and red shelfs with a lot of flowers…sort of santafe 60′ look if that can work?! so I love the turqois flooring! Allthough for my kitchen it would just be too much. Maybe I should publish the photos of before and after on my http://www.casaecose.com hmmm?

Patsy 21 May 10 at 9:45 pm

I have always loved blue and have used it often in the past. It seems my happiest places in a house are usually blue. I once painted the inside of a shoe closet a high gloss Robin’s Egg Blue and I just loved opening it up and having the color pop out. After I moved I painted my bedroom Benjamin Moore’s Costa Rica Blue and had all white accents (parsons table, crisp white shades, white bedlinens) with a dark wood floor and a red indian rug. That bedroom and that closet are some of my favorite decorating/design memories. This post reminds me that I should get some blue into my current house. Thanks for the inspiration.

eq3 25 May 11 at 8:46 pm

The blue is very tastefully done.

Lisa 23 Oct 11 at 9:33 pm

What is the name of the wallpaper shown in the next of the last picture……love it!

1 Links to 'I’ve got the BLUES'

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Material Girls and Ivana Michalova, Robin Krahling. Robin Krahling said: I’ve got the BLUES http://bit.ly/9dztw9 […]