It’s a small wonder afterall

Monday, January 24, 2011 | Category: Color, Decorating, Paint, Walls

I have two clients who have recently come to me with extreme interest in using blues – one for a Dining Room and one for a Family Room.  Because blue is my favorite color, I of course am jumping at the thought of these rooms and trying to dig deep to come up with something spectacular.  As I search for inspiration I came across a beautiful “small wonder” that is Todd Alexander Romano’s apartment in NYC.  It’s what he likes to call modest with a view and what I see as heaven!

The lacquered blue walls have just enough navy and just enough aqua in them to create a luxurious space that’s not too dark and not too flashy.  The touches of ikat, apple green and bright yellows add just the right punch to the room to break up the monotany of the blues and keep the room interesting.

The same color blue continues in the hallway and foyer and is accompanied by great art, rich caramel and a bright contrasting white ceiling that allows the light and the space to still feel open and airy

A close-up of the lacquer and bright yellow flowers which always make a room shine

The apple green velvet plays beautifully off the blue walls

A chinese red plant stand that adds one more needed punch to the room without going overboard

A detail of of blues and reds and golds

One last detail of a brighter view of the apartment

It’s obvious that Todd has done a beautiful job mixing just the right colors, materials and styles and has created a comfortable, chic yet modest space with a view so he can enjoy the city just by looking out his windows.  This is certainly inspiration for me and I hope I can use blues in a way that will result in something as stunning as this!

Tags: , ,

17 Comments to 'It’s a small wonder afterall'

chess sets 24 Jan 11 at 2:31 pm

Love the duotone parquet flooring in the hallway. It shouldn’t work so well with the blue walls, but it does — it warms up the whole color scheme.

Sara 24 Jan 11 at 4:11 pm

I love this space!!!! Just last night, my hubby was flipping through AD and saw this room and said, “Please just don’t do this to our house.” I belly laughed because as I told him, “That’s one of the best spaces I’ve seen in a while!” Don’t know what’s wrong with him…lol! I ADORE the apple green velvet with the blue…perfection!

Damir 24 Jan 11 at 4:32 pm

wow, i like this apple green velvet … very nice

chic coles 24 Jan 11 at 6:10 pm

Those blue rooms are stunning.

Matthew-CLP Home Renovations 24 Jan 11 at 9:04 pm

I love the blue… I was drawn to the blue couch and I could not take my eyes off of it. I am also really fond of the way you incorporated splashes of bold colors.

Megan 25 Jan 11 at 12:26 am

I am loving blue right now too! Slash I have almost identical velvet green chair (mine are a little more olive though).

Rachel 25 Jan 11 at 4:50 am

Blue is my favorite color and I must say that the color combination of the wall and the furniture and decorations are superb!I The apple green velvet chair really stands out!

Wrought Iron lighting 25 Jan 11 at 6:44 am

wow this is really nice and kool to look. A detail of of blues and reds and golds and chines plant stand is lookin so beautiful i can’t imagine. nice stuff u have……………..it’s really heart touching………………..

Laura Casey Interiors 25 Jan 11 at 10:24 am

Wow. Love this space! That blue is one of my very favorite colors.

Heather 25 Jan 11 at 6:29 pm

Love the hallway flooring! And the texture of the sofa against the sheen of the walls. Beautiful!

Laura F. 26 Jan 11 at 2:07 pm

Love, love, love that blue. Not sure where the photos came from, but if you have any intel on what the specific color is, I would love to know!

Carmina | Reusable Wall Cling 26 Jan 11 at 6:01 pm

I love the fact that this room has so many colors, yet it doesn’t look cluttered or messy! I’m off to buy blue paint for my walls now! Thanks for the post!

La-Z-Boy 27 Jan 11 at 4:39 pm

These rooms are very blue but the yellow counteracts it nicely. Thank you for sharing these pictures.

Live Like You 29 Jan 11 at 10:49 am

Beautiful apartment!!!

Tess 01 Feb 11 at 10:35 am

Hi girls,
Great pictures! Love to see how things are going in New York within interior design. It is really inspiring.
I just started a blog about simple design and crazy things to change your home. It is fantastic that I can see how you are doing on the other side of the world (I am from the Netherlands). Hope to get inspired more in the future. Good luck!
Greetz Tess

Liz Carter 07 Feb 11 at 5:05 pm

I love the blue hues, very inspirational!

Maria Alejandra Creative Prints 16 Feb 11 at 6:39 pm

A little piece or art is always important to enhance the room, I sell prints and you have here so many good things, congrats!

2 Links to 'It’s a small wonder afterall'

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Ivana Michalova and Scribble Boutique, Robin Krahling. Robin Krahling said: It’s a small wonder afterall http://bit.ly/gsjhc7 [...]

[...] of the rainbow. Here you will see beautiful blue lacquered walls and a touch of lime green. Enjoy It’s a small wonder afterall at Material [...]