Out with the old, in with the new.  Just as in fashion, where we see trends come and go, (and sometimes come full circle decades later) decorating has its trends that move with the colors of the year(s).  For quite sometime now (i’d say over the past 2 years), gray has become the new beige and it’s making a statement like no other.  Gray is such a calming color but it can be bright, light, dark, subtle…no matter what, it’s always soothing to the eye.  This is the very reason I’ve been convincing my clients to use so much gray lately, especially on the walls!  It’s the perfect neutral that will cohesively tie any room together.  Take a look at these gray rooms and see how well it works in different spaces:

I’m loving these lanterns and chairs in this country gray kitchen!

Don’t be afraid to mix your grays and beiges – just make sure that gray is the more dominant color in the room.  It will freshen up your space instantly and keep you on trend!

13 Comments to 'It’s not Beige It’s Greige'

Chairy Blossoms 05 Jan 12 at 12:12 pm

I love using grey on the walls and in my fabric choices but with strong woods. I am not a big fan of the grey; distressed, repurposed wood.

Rachel Hazelton 05 Jan 12 at 5:56 pm

I love those lanterns too. I liked them so much a few years ago when I saw them in a magazine, I found the vendor and ordered them for two different projects. So fabulous! I am also really into greige. Warm gray is so beautiful in interiors.

Cottage David 06 Jan 12 at 2:50 pm

I think the best part of gray is how well you can tint it in subtle shades to create an entire pellet!

Furniture Polished 06 Jan 12 at 4:46 pm

Gray is one of our favorite colors too! While gray used to be seen as such an industrial color, the photos you chose really show its versatility: cool to warm, high end to everyday, city loft to farmhouse.

Joanie Girl 10 Jan 12 at 11:32 pm

I am in the process of furnishing my living room. My walls are grey and I have a cream velvet sofa. Where can I find the chair that is in the third picture down on this page. It looks like a grey velvet with cream piping. This is just what I have been looking for!

Jane Kilpatrick Schott 18 Jan 12 at 4:32 pm

I just sold a pair of those chairs in the shop…if they are the Ralph Lauren banana leaf ones. LOVE!

Nicole 19 Jan 12 at 9:42 am

We live in a converted church. The former sanctuary has a high ceiling, timberframe, and stained glass that shifts daylight to yellow. We are planning to paint the new paneling grey. Thanks for this, the pictures are nice to see and it gives me confidence in the color choice.

Megan 29 Jan 12 at 5:41 pm

Despite an initial cringe at the word “greige” (it makes me thing of a boggy, hilly English field…), a grey wall is calming. I don’t love it where food is being served, generally, but in any bed or living room it’s a wonderful color.

painting contractors Denver CO 26 Mar 12 at 4:11 am

The combination of beige and grey to form a new color trend is amazing! “Greige” could make a pitch on walls. Provided that the materials are available, homeowners will surely love the idea of trying this in their homes.

Cara Hechinger 14 Aug 12 at 8:21 am

What paint was used for the dining room in the top picture? Am looking for that exact look for my dining room!

Valerie Valk 14 Aug 12 at 1:30 pm

Do you happen to know the color thats on the paneled doors in the living room ? beautiful!

Lisa 05 Feb 13 at 7:59 pm

I’m shooting for something very similar to the living room scene with dark floors, fireplace and the zebra ottoman. Can you please tell me the colors used? I’m on my 3rd try and when I get about 1/2 way through it starts to be either too purple, green or yellow. thanks!

Pam 13 Apr 13 at 1:42 pm

We must have similar taste— love your ideas. Do you Pin! (Pintrist!)??

1 Links to 'It’s not Beige It’s Greige'

[...] more gorgeous pics and more on the topic, visit Material Girl’s Blog. Delicious Share on Facebook Buzz it up Linkedin Share with Stumblers Tweet about it Print Email [...]